We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you!

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Thank you!

We have just returned from EPM and just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of the regular contributors to this forum who helped me decide to book EPM for our first wedding anniversary. We had the most perfect holiday – just a few observations:

The Tamarind Margaritas at Agave were amazing! Thanks for this recommendation – does anyone have any idea how to make these at home?

We were non-EC however we received a telephone call from the Concierge every evening asking where we were planning to go for dinner and if they wanted us to make a reservation.

There have been many comments saying that the bed was too hard however I found it to be the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!

We were blown away by the quality of the food – every meal was perfect. I noticed before we went that there had been comments regarding the quality of the meat however my husband regularly had steak or duck and found them to be excellent and always perfectly cooked.

We live in the Midlands in the UK and regularly eat Indian food and we were very impressed with Basmati. We ate there 3 times during our 2 weeks. The food was slightly different to what we are used to however we thought it was very tasty. Extra thanks to Luis, Oscar and the lady waitress (sorry I did not catch her name) who made our nights extra special. Only slight criticism is that the food is not very spicy – on our last visit I ordered the Kori Gassi which according to the menu has 3 chillis indicating it should be hot and I also mentioned that I like my food spicy however I would class this as a medium heat.

The staff are amazing! I have never been anywhere where every member of staff is so professional and happy in their job. If you are visiting soon, please take money to tip the staff as they all deserve it – does anyone know if the staff pool their tips? We often wondered this as obviously some staff are in jobs that will receive more tips than others when we felt they all deserve extra recognition. Extra thanks to Gloria and Lorenzo at Toscana, Cezar at the Martini Bar and Maria at the beach who are excellent at their jobs. Also don’t forget to tip the pizza guy at the Sol Bar – he works so hard in the heat! There were also lots of other members of staff who made our stay memorable however I didn’t catch all of their names!

All questions – feel free to ask.

London, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank you!

Hi

Sounds like u had a lovely time. we are there in 3weeks and 5days can't wait!! Did you tip in pesos or dollars ?roughly how much did you tip per day? Did you go out of the resort on any trips ? Was thinking we may go to isla for the day and one night into cancun , who did you fly? with we are flying with virgin in premuim and wondered what the flight was like . Sorry for all the questions!!

Natalie

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank you!

Hi - I'm very jealous that you're heading there soon!

We tipped in pesos - thought that since we had to change from pounds we might as well change into pesos. I contacted our travel agent and asked them to order 20s and 50s notes in pesos and used these to tip. The amount we tipped varied - usually 20 pesos if someone got us a drink and we made sure we left tips for the cleaners. Then obviously the usual places - at dinner.

We only left the resort twice - we went to Isla Mujeres for the day - we did not go on a trip - we got a taxi to the ferry and hired a golf cart when we got there. When we were there we went to the Turtle farm which we loved and went snorkelling.

We travelled with Thomson and booked a bar crawl in Cancun - we went to 3 bars (which were awful to be honest!) then to Coco Bongos which was the main reason we booked it. We were glad we booked with a group as you don't have to queue to get in and also we were on a balcony which meant we weren't in the main crowd as it was a bit rowdy down there! The only problem is as EPM is out of the way - we couldn't find anyway to get to Coco Bongos with transport provided. I was a bit wary of getting a taxi back to EPM when we left at 3am however we were told that as long as we got a taxi with a green stripe we would be fine and we were. We felt totally safe.

We flew with Thomson from Birmingham and to be honest the flight was awful! When I booked the trip I didn't realise that the runway at Birmingham airport is not long enough to carry enough fuel to fly to Cancun so we had to stop at Manchester to refuel (for our American friends this is only 90 miles away!) so a 9 hour flight was extended to 12 hours! The plane was awful - dirty and so cramped. This is perhaps due to the fact that Thomson will be getting the Dreamliner soon so they are old planes but I would not recommend flying long haul with Thomson to anyone! It was better on the way back as we didn't have to stop to refuel. I would imagine Virgin will be much better - personally I have never flown with Virgin but I have some friends who flew to Vegas with them and said how brilliant they were.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank you!

Great to hear you had such a great time and I look forward to reading your review in due course

Roll on June for us

Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank you!

Glad you had a great time we fly on June 9th with Thomas Cook I've only ever flown virgin Premium but husband booked for anniversary so fingers crossed they will be ok to fly with!! X

Edited: 13 May 2013, 13:56
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank you!

We are also flying with TC this year and have no real concerns

Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank you!

I'm so glad that helps it's just I heard some awful reviews and it nerves me slightly!

Truth or...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thank you!

"we received a telephone call from the Concierge every evening asking where we were planning to go for dinner and if they wanted us to make a reservation"

They've switched to a reservation system now?

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thank you!

No it is still no reservations - they would just call to ask if we would like a table reserved. We usually declined the offer as we often hadn't yet decided where to eat. We would just turn up when we wanted and only had to take a beeper once

London, England
Level Contributor
139 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thank you!

We flew with Thomas Cook last year to Cancun and thought they were brilliant. TC have seats at the back of the plane for just two people. Apparently there is more leg room with TC than Virgin on a standard seat. I have, however, flown to Vegas in a premium cabin on the outbound journey and it was excellent but on the way back we were in a standard seat and it was awful.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thank you!

Suzy

They only do it for a percentage of guests and not all just as an added service

Edited: 13 May 2013, 15:03