We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Here is some insight on what to expect-

1. As you board your flight you'll be given forms to fill out on the plane for Customs & Immigration. Make sure you have a pen and your passport handy (you need your passport number on the form). Familiarize yourself with the forms here - http://www.mapchick.com/immigration.html (NB - you can't print out the forms and use them; you must use the official forms provided on the plane.). So you will either get them as you are boarding, or at the ticket counter or on the plane. Be sure and complete the form ( including the small part on the bottom), if you don't immigration will have you move away from the counter and return once completed.

2. When you get off the plane you will see thrones of passengers standing outside the plane filling out their forms. Ha ha. Your line just got shorter!! You'll go down the escalator and into the line for Customs & Immigration. The length of the line depends on how many flights have arrived and how many agents are working the window. Our plane arrived at noon. Wasn't too bad, about 10-15 minutes. Hopefully though, you'll just breeze through the line to the official who will stamp your passport. They will also tear off part of one of the forms you completed on the plane and give it back to you. Do NOT lose this as you'll need it when it's time to come home. If you do lose it, it's not the end of the world but you may want to allow a little extra time at the airport on the way home to sort it out and we were told a fine of $50.

3. After this, you'll go to baggage claim to retrieve you bags. (There is a bathroom to the right as you enter this area) Many bags look alike, please check the tags before walking off.

4. Once you've got your bags, you'll proceed up to another agent who looks over your information then the agent will direct you to push a button - get a green light and you're on your way, get a red light and you'll be directed to take your luggage and personal items and place them on a conveyor belt for X-ray. Once they pass through this they are to be taken to a side table where your luggage will be subjected to a hand search. On the button, it's typically one press per couple or family. If you're travelling with a larger group, stick together; if necessary, the agent will break you up until smaller units for the button press. Have your luggage keys ready if you get the red light.

5. After the red light/green light, you'll go through a set of doors - now you're in the shark tank. Absolutely NOTHING to worry about so long as you realize that EVERYONE in here is selling timeshare and offering free transportation to your resort. They may look official, they may claim to be from your airline, your tour company, your ground transfer company, and they may even ask to see your passport. They will walk right up to you!! This is ALL a big fat lie - they're just trying to lure you in for a timeshare presentation. Either say no or ignore them; either way, keep on moving towards the doors at the opposite end. I say keep moving, give no eye contact. Do not speak. Ha ha. I actually had to turn around and save my husband. A shark almost got him!!

6. Once you're out of the shark tank, you can see outside in the fresh air - keep on moving towards this 'is where you will find your transfer company. Ours was standing right in front of us with a sign and he directed us further. Private transfers will be in front of you or slightly to the right, package tours (Apple, Funjet etc.) will be over to the left. If you're not sure where to go, ask someone. For obvious reasons, do NOT ask for directions or assistance inside the shark tank.

Hope this helps somewhat.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Great advice!!

Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Congratulations on the 10-15 minute wait for Immigration. We were in line for two hours -- longer than it took to fly down there!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Hmmmm, significant chunks of this info looks familiar ...... tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k65253… (see response #2).

If you're gonna plaguarize, perhaps a nod to the original author might be in order - LOL!

;-)

Edited: 25 May 2013, 15:26
Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Wow... calm down...Sorry working off my iPhone and part of the last part did not come over. I also had a disclaimer which I will now retrieve. This is my third try with this. I felt the shark tank all over again.

In conclusion, please remember that the situations for each of you may be different, this is just a summary of my personal observations from two weeks ago and advice given from other forums and especially notes by Llisa in the Puerto Morales forum.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

My comment was intended to be tongue in cheek hence the "LOL!" and ";-)".

No need to tell me to "calm down".

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

I think it looks more like response # 3 than #2. LOL

Very helpful information for new visitors...

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
350 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Thanks jefritz!

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Thanks Jetfritz, that's answered a lot of my questions

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Check....PGMP2009. :-)

You are welcome. ... All others..

One other thing I meant to add, but was distracted for a moment.

We did a transfer to our hotel, purchased through our package. Once you get to your transfer person outside at the airport, they will take your travel voucher info, finding out what resort etc... Then they have to "build" a ride to the resort with other newly arrived travelers so they can fill their vehicle. Sometimes you have to make a stop along the way letting other travelers out.

So know this:

#1- Building the ride process can add on about 10-20 minutes wait time. Then they tell you what vehicle to get in..etc... (In our case it was three other couples and a screaming child).

#2- if this isn't your cup of tea think about purchasing a private transfer.

#3- I am patient, but my sweaty husband wasn't. :-)

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Airport - What to expect ~~~

Jefritz - which transportation company did you use?