We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

timeshare sales

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
302 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
timeshare sales

I have seen a couple of people talk about this topic and just wanted to share our experience. We love going to the presentations, however, we are career sales people. We like to take the opportunity to look at other properties for future visits as it is not easy to hotel hop in Mexico. Also, instead of taking the promotional gifts, we ask for cash instead. Each company has a promotional spend per person, so if you would rather the cash ask for and tell them you would rather that versus the promotional gifts/excusions. They don't advertise it though as they want you to take the gifts and tours. If they make you stay after the required time, just get up and leave. You are not required to stay after the time that they told you. 90 minute, etc. We will be at SMB over Labor Day weekend and since it's such a short trip we most likely won't sign up to do any of the presentations, but usually when we are there it is for a week so we don't mind listening to what they have to say.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,833 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: timeshare sales

Whatever floats your boat. My vacation time is WAAAAY too precious to me to waste even one valuable second listening to a sales pitch for something I wouldn't dream of buying. And I usually visit for two weeks!

Moreoever, when you make it apparent that you're not going to buy, some of these salesmen/women can turn REALLY nasty. It is not unknown for them to become verbally abusive and downright obnoxious. Again, not something I want to subject myself to at the best of times and especially not on vacation.

But hey, if it works for you, go for it.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 16:05
2. Re: timeshare sales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 13:43
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: timeshare sales

If they don't find anyone to take a tour they are out of a job. Also if anyone at anytime is abusive ask to speak to a supervisor immediately . They do try a hard sell by bringing in several closers to deal the deal but just wanted to pass on some information that they really aren't as bad as some think they are . All of our experiences have been quite pleasant .

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,777 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: timeshare sales

Luckily Excellence Resorts do not operate timeshares

Personally we have no interest in such arrangements and when we have been approached at other resort chains we have just said no thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: timeshare sales

If they don't find anyone to take a tour they are out of a job. Also if anyone at anytime is abusive ask to speak to a supervisor immediately . They do try a hard sell by bringing in several closers to deal the deal but just wanted to pass on some information that they really aren't as bad as some think they are . All of our experiences have been quite pleasant .

We have not been to any at Secrets either even whatever they are calling it in property. I usually try to find some at resorts on our list . They may not call it timeshare but fractional ownership are some of the non chain ones.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: timeshare sales

I think fractional ownership and timeshare are different so if anyone is thinking about those options, please take a good look at those differences.

One of many:

thefractionalconsultant.com/fractional-owner…

Also, if anyone is interested in timeshare, a good look at the secondary market (timeshare re-sales) would save you a bunch of money.

As with any "investment" advice, please contact your investment professional beforehand! (the best advice...)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: timeshare sales

We have not been to any at Secrets either even whatever they are calling it in property. I usually try to find some at resorts on our list . They may not call it timeshare but fractional ownership are some of the non chain ones.

I agree with you. We own a timeshare in St Maarten . We purchased this one 1995 so it's nice to see new offerings .

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,777 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: timeshare sales

Hi again

AMResorts have been getting some bad press on the forums about their Unlimited Vacation Club - see link below to one such long running thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k507…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: timeshare sales

I've heard sometimes it is not so easy to just "get up and leave". One person at a presentation for VDP said they ask for your CC and driver's license when you go and they hold on to it during the presentation.

We have never been to one, but if we ever did go, the moment somone asked for for my CC and driver's license, is when I'd turn and walk out.

Hammond
Level Contributor
204 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: timeshare sales

Never been to one in Mexico, been to two in the states and thought I was going to have to fight my way out of there, they are relentless.....NEVER AGAIN!!