We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

My husband and I are returning to EPM on September 7-13th, and we’re beyond excited. We haven’t been since our first trip, our honeymoon, in October 2009. Too long!

We went to ERC in June 2011, and loved it, but are thrilled to be returning to EPM. I’ve been reading on these forums and got up the courage to ask my own questions.

I know a lot of you are frequent EPM travelers (lucky!). What’s “new” at EPM over the last few years? What’s changed for the better? For the worse? In your opinion, what’s a must-do?

We’re staying in an EC regular suite. We did the EC Rooftop Suite on our honeymoon, but didn’t find it particularly worth the money this time.

A bit about us: early 30s, no kids (not that there are any kids here anyway), we go on vacations to relax. We don’t really enjoy going on a vacation then being so tired at the end of it that we feel we need ANOTHER vacation to rest. We enjoy some alcoholic beverages, but have the hard partying days well behind us.

When last we were at EPM, Basmati wasn’t there yet – it is now, and I keep hearing it’s fantastic. We love spicy Indian food – is the food spicy, or are there spicy options available?

One last (silly) thing – I love my caffeine in the morning, but am not a coffee drinker. I always drink my unsweetened iced tea in the morning – when we were at EPM/ERC, I wasn’t able to get anything other than something that tasted instant, but to be fair, I didn’t look that hard. Is there another place I can go other than the main buffet for some good iced tea?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

* Basmati - They have different level of 'heat' - and it's noted in the menu. Our new favorite restaurant.

* Pizza Oven at the Sol Bar - Will make individualized pizzas to your liking.

* New EC huts at the EC pools by building 9 and 8B.

* More variety and daily food options on the beach. The beach grill (now called Las Olas) has a 'catch of the day', a taco festival, a Tex Mex day, Rock 'n Burger (classic rock band and burgers), paella day, etc.

* New menus at places like Toscana and Agave

* More policing of the EC beach / pool areas

Those are a few of the new changes since 2009. I'm sure others can list more.

Have fun!! Are you requesting a certain building?

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

P,us, at Basmati, ask for Oscar as your waiter... Tell him you love I Dian food and the spicier the better... He will ensure you get heat!!! I found even their spiciest dishes were not spicy enough for me u Filo told him how I like my tongue to blister...haha... It was all good after that.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

This is so helpful, thank you!

We were able to get those pizzas at ERC -- I had tuna on a pizza, which sounded weird to me, but tried it, loved it, and now recreate it at home as much as I can.

Well, I didn't request a certain building, just a higher floor with a nice view. On our honeymoon we stayed in building 9, the second RTT from the far corner room. Do you have recommendations for which room to request?

Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

I'm partial to building 8B if in EC - because you have the nice pool right below, plus the Cielo Bar right there and it's closest to the EC Lounge and the EC Beach.

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

As far as buildings go and if you are looking for mostly peace and quiet, building 8b is our favorite because the pool has the Cielo bar right there, and there is also a concierge hut. Adan, the bartender, and Carolina, the concierge, are wonderful ...Adan recognized us from the previous year and even remembered our favorite drinks! We noticed updates in some of the restaurants, particularly Agave (ask for Ivan!), that were nice surprises...actually, that is what I like best about EPM...they are always looking to improve! We really enjoyed the Las Olos grill area on the beach - it isn't on the map, but it's in the non EC beach area, and the food is very good. We, too, eschewed the RTT the second time around....it's nice, but certainly not necessary to have again. Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

Swan,

Regarding iced tea in the a.m., you could probably get some hot tea, I think they have many to choose from, make the tea and ask for a few glasses of ice. I've done it before and find that this way I get the tea I like as iced tea. If they have a carafe, maybe make a carafe of hot tea and keep pouring it over a fresh glass of ice.

Enjoy!

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
550 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

I am going to shoot for 8b thanks travelman

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
550 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

Should you ask for a high floor, Is that better in 8b?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

There is also a whole new management team since your last visit. A new GM, Assistant GM and a whole new concierge team as well as many other staff changes. Which in our opinion surpass any previous managerial positions in this hotel.

This is on top of all of the cosmetic/menu/entertainment changes that you will notice.

You sure are in for a fantastic time.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EPM for the first time in four years...what's new?

Bonnie - the higher the floor, the better view of the Caribbean. The top floors are the rooftop terraces, which you don't have. So we had the floor just under that. The ground floor is considered '0'... so we were in 8369 and it was essentially the 4th floor. Our room was on the very end (corner) nearest to The Beloved Hotel next door. We could look out to our right and see the Cancun Hotel Zone, off straight ahead was Isla Mujeres. We could watch the boats going back and forth to the island and to the marina next door. If you are on a lower floor, you still may get a good view, but keep in mind that there are going to be buildings / trees between you and the ocean, so the higher up, the better the view.