We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

I am torn between these 2 resorts. I would be happy at either, I'm sure but it is for my boyfriend's birthday and I want it to be the best possible trip. He has never been anywhere hot before, or all inclusive. We both love food and beach and drinks. I love a large pool as well.

Service is very important to me as we recently had a bad experience in a hotel and both thought it was a waste of money.

If you can give me any inside insight I would be so gracious!

Thank you.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

Been to SMB 3 times and EPM 8 times. Returning to EPM in Sept for the 9th time and would not return to SMB...Esp. because of the pool set up...And the rooms and the food, etc....

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

And EPM has the great Kafe Cafe in the evening for open air mingling and music.

VA
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

We've been to both and I just posted a comparison in the Playa Maroma forum. There's not a clear cut winner in my opinion unless the cost is the same so you should of course take that into consideration. But usually EPM prices up a bit less. In short, I think EPM wins for pools and rooms. We preferred SMB for the beach, service, and food / drink. There are some exceptions within those categories. Take a look at my other post for more specifics.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,329 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

Hi

If you type SMB into the search box on this forum you will find loads of threads comparing the two resorts. As has been said it very much depends on what you are looking for. We will be going back to both in September

Overall we prefer EPM because of the resort layout and the variety of pools and sunbathing areas

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

I've been to SMB twice and EPM once (and will return). SMB absolutely has a prettier beach....and you pay for it. It costs more than EPM and, in my opinion, that's the only reason why. The food was similar (except SMB desserts were better) and so was the level of service. But EPM has much better pool options.

Either one is a great choice for a first time all-inclusive trip. Wherever you go, don't get swept away with the reviews that tell you it's the best resort ever. And don't second guess your choice when you read a bad review ! Both are quality resorts.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

I agree with RedNailz....either would be a great choice.. It's all about what your hot buttons are for a vacation... I have mine and to be honest the beach is not one of them, so the pool was important to me..But, both are great resorts...

california
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

I had the same issue as you a few months ago. I could not decide. I read lots of comparisons and ultimately you have to look at the +'s and -'s of each resort.

We choose EPM.

We thought EPM was a better value. SMB was a lot more even comparing swim-up EC to swim up standard. I don't mind spending more, I just couldn't figure why it was so much more.

Pool looked very crowed. The weird brown pool did not look inviting.

Time of year was a decider for us. We are traveling in September which I know from experience is very hot. I need shade and not interested in the towel game and I read that a lot of SMB is not air-conditioned well. This might be fine in March, but I don't want to sweat my but off having dinner dressed up in September.

Beach is important, but not that important. So we were not willing to pay the premium.

Lastly I was a bit turned off that they charged $50 dollars for a beach bed at that price point I thought it was ridiculous. I also read that the up-selling for wine and extra spa products was rampant. Not to mention the dreaded time-share pitch.

We have traveled extensively and this will be our 11th time to the area. EPM seems to be a winner with people who have been to multiple resorts in the area.

I'm not completely turned off to SMB, they get consistently great reviews and might try it in the future, but for now I'm very content with my choice.

Good luck deciding :-)

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
334 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

I agree with k95401. We have stayed at both, and while SMB is nice, we could never get a spot at the pool and the lack of ac was problematic for us. The beach is nice, but not nice enough to make up for the other things. We will be returning to EPM for the third time. But I also agree that both resorts are good choices and you can't make a mistake with either one. It just depends on what you want.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

We love them both, you cant go wrong! Go with whichever has a better deal at the time you are going.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Maroma vs. Excellence Playa Mujeres?

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'm sold on the EPM, but I prefer the location of the Secrets, and for that reason will likely choose it.

I LOVE pools, but I feel like I would still be disappointed without a beautiful beach, as well.

Again, thank you everyone for your input!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres
Recent Conversations