We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
496 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

Just curious if upgrading is worth the extra cost ! Also curious which ferry is closest to go to isla de Mujeres.

Thanks

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

The upgrade to Excellence Club is only worth it if the amenities are worth it TO YOU. You just have to consider all of the perks and decide, one by one, if you will be happy to live without them. Upgraded liquor in the room, upgraded toiletries, access to the Excellence Club (where there is finger foods all day, hot breakfast, hot lunch, espresso machine, upgraded liquor and wines, computer center, to name a few), private pools (heated), private beach and rooms that are closer to the water. Here is a link to all of the Excellence Club amenities.

excellence-resorts.com/guest-suites/excellen…

Just be honest with yourself and you will figure out what the right answer is for you. If you don’t see anything on the list that would be a huge disappointment if you don’t get it, then you can always use the extra money for some spa treatments or day tripping to Isla Mujeres or even upgrade your room to a RTT. Or just save the money for your return trip, as you will enjoy yourself whether you are in Excellence Club or not, and be planning a return trip before the first one is over.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 18:04
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

It is certainly not a prerequisite of having a great time as many of the people we have talked to over the years and many of the glowing reviews here on TA are from Non-EC guests

As Mary says check out what it all entails and them make a decision. Also balance out what the upgrade cost would get you in another form of upgrade and Non-EC level

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

Great reply Mary, we are on our 3rd vist and have never done the club and certainly don't feel as though we have missed out on anything.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

My experience with Excellence Club is that when I hadn't done it, I didn't miss it. But once I did it, I thought it was worth it and wouldn't go back.

Toronto
Level Contributor
207 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

If I had the extra cash to drop on either EC or RTT in non-EC, I would go with the latter. Alas, I can afford neither.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

My wife and I are going in a little over a week ill post a review when we get back to try to help you out.

New York
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

there have been tons of threads on this topic....

IMHO...if you are a main pool want to be in the middle of the action all the time person..maybe EC isn't worth the money since you will be in the non-EC areas all day long.

We have always done EC upgrade and will keep on doing it. We really love the little extra touches. I couldn't imagine going non-ec.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

The thing about EC vs. Non-EC and the question – Is it worth it? – is very similar to flying coach vs. first class (This is domestic, US flying so the analogy might not translate for the UK or European folks). If you have never flown first class and you look at the price to upgrade, you certainly wonder if it is worth it. If you don’t fly in first class, then you never know and you are content riding in coach because you have nothing to compare it to. You get to your destination at the same time as the folks in first class, you have all had a meal, a cocktail, watched a movie etc. When someone tells you that the first class seats are bigger and they are leather and that the liquor is free in first class and they serve you a complimentary meal and it is on china, you do the math in your head, figure out your priorities and make a decision – worth it vs. not worth it. However the BIG CATCH is that once you do fly first class, MOST people never want to fly in coach again. A general comparison, but I think you get the idea. Certainly the price difference between first class and coach and EC and non-ec are very different! For a first timer, I would probably suggest skipping EC (unless it is the winter time and you want to use the EC heated pool). The other perks, while they are nice and, in my opinion worth it, won’t be missed if you’ve never tried them.

boston ma
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

I agree with Mary. We went non EC on our first trip and had a good time. Did EC on our next two trips, and would miss it now if we didn't have it. Biggest perk for us is room location, like the ocean view, not looking at the giant wall of the spa.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Club at Playa Mujeres worth it ????

The advice for first timers to go non-EC is excellent! Once you actually see the resort and the way buildings are situated, you can judge for yourself whether EC would be preferable for the view (keep in mind that you may not get the room with the view you prefer). And you will get better idea of whether or not the amenities make a difference.

I remember walking to dinner and seeing a cart of petit fours going to the EC rooms. I thought, Hm, those would be nice! But by the time I got back to the room at the end of the night, I was stuffed and had no interest in another dessert. Likewise with the snacks : I ate so much at lunch that I would never have stopped at the EC lounge to eat!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres