We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Norwich UK
Level Contributor
351 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Hi All

After a long wait, it's finally arrived and we're back in Excellence Paradise..Mexico style!!

Trip over couldn't have been smoother. Can't fault Virgin Airlines, we left on time and arrived at Cancun Airport at 16:25 local time. A nice smooth transition through the Airport and straight to EPM, arrive home @ 18:45 :)

First impressions of the Lobby and Martini Bar...Wow!!! Bigger and maybe slightly grander then the setup at ERC. Cesar look after us and took us and our bags to our room...what a lovely guy!

We're in building 1 which we requested. The swimup gardens do seem smaller on building 1, but the big test will be when the sun comes out in the morning...fingers crossed!

Went out around 19:45 and headed straight to the Martini Bar for a few pre-dinner drinks. Had my two favourite drinks. A bottle of Negro Modelo, followed by an Apple Martini...fantastic. Ricardo was serving and he was great, very friendly and attentive. The Martini bar itself is bigger then its ERC brother and seems to have a slightly more up market feel...although we'd be happy to drink in either :)

We had dinner in the French restaurant..the food was superb. I had the Mahi fillet and Mrs Jimbo the Chicken and baked apple...full of flavor and went down well with a little house wine. I'd have to say the building at French Restaurant ERC wins the comparison test, but on first impressions we preferred the food at EPM!

Went outside, had a few drinks and watched the first part of the show. It was the Magician show and it might be because we were both tired, but we felt it was the worst show we have seen in an Excellence resort. Maybe I've been spoilt by watching the Dynamo tv show over in the UK!

In bed by 22:00, which was probably a mistake, as I'm wide awake and its only 5 in the morning...going to go for a run on the beach in a few hours before breaky!!

If anyone is wondering...why Jimmy T? It's a nickname some friends gave me after organizing a holiday for the 4 of us a few years a go and it has stuck with Mrs Jimbo! So whenever we're on holiday I'm known as Jimmy T Tours ;)

So far..so good. Bring on Weds!!!!

Cheers

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,620 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Great to hear you have arrived safely and look forward to hearing more as the adventure unfolds

Norwich UK
Level Contributor
351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Just spotted a mistake on my earlier post...arrived at EPM @ 17:45, so around 80 mins after touching down at Cancun airport :)

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Have a brill time. My friends Julie & Tony arrived there yesterday (from a Manchester flight) as well so I'm living through any live from's and a photo or two from Julie to keep me going until we get there on 19th Sept. Glad to know the timings from your flights, as we are doing Virgin flights this time. Might be a bit late for the first swim at nearly 7pm but I'm sure we will make up for it.

Keep the updates coming, but most of all enjoy yourselves and if you see a group of people sat in Kafe Cafe each night around 5pm enjoying themselves it's bound to be Julie - say Hi

Bath
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Glad to see you arrived safely.

Thanks for updating the time you arrived as we will be taking the same VA flight you did and I always thought that we would be at EMP by 6pm (just in time for a relaxing shower and a couple of drinks before dinner) when I saw your first post, I wondered why it had too soo long. Thanks for updating.

Have a great time

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
565 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Ok jimmy T

Have a good one might see you around.

Norwich UK
Level Contributor
351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Yeah OK Brad, will look out for you in the Martini Bar!

Well, we have changed rooms :)

We have moved into building 2 , as the swim out gardens are well protected by Palms in building 1 and also quite small. We personally think Building 2 is the better option for morning sun.

Going to try out the Flavour Market tonight, as it one option they didn't have in ERC

It's a lovely day in paradise

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Have a great time Jimmy T!!

Norwich UK
Level Contributor
351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Thanks travelinman...we have your cocktail list with us, so we're going to try and do it proud :)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Excellent!! Keep me up to speed! Go say hi to the guys on the entertainment team - 12:00 pool volleyball - tell them Thrasher from St. Louis says hi.

Norwich UK
Level Contributor
351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from EPM - Jimmy T Tours!!

Nice quiet day yesterday, settling in and getting used to just taking it easy!

In comparison to ERC, the lazy river is a lot quieter. There doesn't seem to a big occupancy in buildings 1-3, so if you prefer some solitude, this is a good option. You can always take a walk up to the busy areas of the resort and have a quieter area when the mood takes, so we think its a good balance.

Last night we did the usual Martini Bar to start...which was a lot busier last night, before going to the Flavour Market for dinner.

We had a 30 minute wait, but no problem..another drink at the Martini Bar :)

We were a little disappointed with the Flavour Market...as Brad has mentioned, the wait for food was fairly long and the food was just OK in our opinion. Not enough staff and too busy for the waiters to cope.

We had Ivan, who recognized Mrs Jimbo from ERC last year.

Starters were nice enough, but main courses were a little disappointing the hot dishes were Luke warm..

They recommend ordering 12 starters and main courses...it sounds a lot, but if you have a big appetite, you might want to order a few more.

We'd give it 6/10 in comparison to 9/10 for the France restaurant the night before..

Show last night was the circus show, which was excellent

Going to chill out this morning after breakfast and will venture down to the beach this afters, followed by the bike ride, if we have any energy left :)

Agave or Grill tonight followed by Michael Jackson...

Jimmy T signing off, as breakfast is calling!!

Edited: 01 August 2013, 13:57