We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

change for gratuities

Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
change for gratuities

Hi,

We're going to the Playa Mujeres in a few weeks and had got dollars for tips and gratuties. However I have since found out that dollars are not really acceptable in Mexico any more and have ordered pesos. The pesos have come in large denomination notes which will be OK for a dinner time tip, but not so good for a round of drinks. Is there a cash desk at the Playa Mujeres which will change 200 peso notes for smaller denominations?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: change for gratuities

Dollars are perfectly fine. We've always tipped in dollars and have had employees tell me they prefer dollars to pesos anyway. You'll hear conflicting views on the subject, but I'm just telling you what 3 or 4 told me. Typical rule of thumb - if you are from US or have dollars, use dollars. If not, then get pesos. If you already have dollars, you're perfectly fine and appreciate anything.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: change for gratuities

Agree with 1travelinman 100%.. We always use USD and will continue to do so for our upcoming EPM vaca starting on 8/31.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: change for gratuities

The front desk at your resort should be able to provide change and if not, ask one of the bell boys or waiters to break your larger notes for you.

For more info on the pesos versus dollar debate, check out this thread:

tripadvisor.ca/…52321806

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: change for gratuities

Since you already have large denomination peso's, I feel certain the front desk will assist you in changing to smaller bills...

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: change for gratuities

Front desk changed my 500 peso notes for 20s and 50s no problem

Flitwick, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: change for gratuities

It's definitely not an issue changing the larger Peso notes to 20's at the front desk.

We did it regularly whilst we were there as we got very few small denomination notes when we picked up our currency. So quick for one of us to pop up stairs whilst we were enjoying pre-dinner drinks in the Martini Bar. We will be doing the same thing again in 105 days :-)

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: change for gratuities

We have now been 6 times to mexico EPM 3 times and are travelling to STV for 2 weeks in early October we just find it easy to take dollars and ask for small notes eg 1s and 5s and get on fine , but as previously said just ask the wait or bar staff they will usually have plenty to change down bigger notes.

Va
Level Contributor
11,260 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: change for gratuities

The front desk is about your only option. Change is scares in Mexico and small bill are hard to come by for some reason. Dollars are fine, but not the currency of Mexico which means the person you give them to will have to exchange them and anytime you have to exchange money it will cost you. I am sure they would rather have a 13 peso tip than a 1 dollar bill.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: change for gratuities

The question was , how to convert large peso's into small in like currency ?

The IP has larger pesos in hand and wants to exchange for smaller notes...Not a question of which currency to use...

I always use US dollars as well..

New York, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: change for gratuities

Just to confirm 20 pesos is equal to a one dollar bill in the us? 50 dollar bill, 5 dollars?

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres