We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado vs Excellence?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
El Dorado vs Excellence?

My wife and I have visited Excellence properties in the past and love the experience. Recently I have been reading up on the El Dorado resorts. The dinning experience appears to be highly regarded at the El Dorado's. Can anyone offer their experiences with both resorts as a comparison?

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

I have stayed at El Dorado Royle Casitas twice but it was back in 2006(we got married there) and 2007First Anniversery).

We have since stayed 3 times at a Excellence resort and once at Secrets Silversands last year.

We both liked the resort a lot. I think the food and service are basically on par. When we were there you had to make reservations for diner which was a hassle.( Not sure if this is still something they do or not)

The beach is protected by big sand filled whales which make for some bad views. It wasnt a big deal to us but for some It is. Ten resort is pretty large so if walking is an issue then I may not be the ideal resort for you. They do have golf carts but at times you may have a wait to get one. They also have timeshare salesman on premise. Again no big deal to us but for some it is.

I would say if you can get a good deal go for it if those things I listed arent a deal breaker for you.

Hopefully someone who has stayed there more recent can chime in for you.

Good luck!

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

We have stayed at EDSS 3 times and just returned from EPM, EPM blew EDSS out of the water from staff o food to beach to pools.

The EPM service was second to none, rooms fantastic mini bars great, we would not go back to EDSS now after finding EPM.

9 fantastic restaurants serving fab food 24 room service, lots of pools, great beach.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

Thank you all for your expeditious replies. Greatly appreciated and respected.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

I have stayed once at EPM and would not return because I found the food and beach to be subpar. I stayed at El Dorado Maroma and liked almost everything about it. I would gladly return to an El Dorado resort, particularly EDM.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

I stayed at EDSS this past January and EPM the previous Jan (and in 2008)

Both resorts compared similarly when it came to food quality however EPM had more options and variety for dining. I also found service slow at dinner time at EDSS however we were a group of six and that could have been a factor. Also found more breakfast options at EPM.

Both resorts are beautiful and spotless with nice rooms. EDSS is more dated being an older resort than EPM with a main pool that reminded me of someones back yard pool. Service was good at both however I would give the edge to EPM as it was more personalized however both resorts had some stand out folks. In comparing the two I found it easier to find lounge chairs at EPM than EDSS with the towel game a lot more evident at EDSS. To the point that I sat on my patio each morning and watched people literally running to the beach with their gear to reserve chairs as if they were being chased by wild animals. I found it funny yet others may not.

Overall I would say EPM has more dining/swimming and activity options. EDSS is more quaint and smaller. One other thing to consider is the distance from the airport. We usually just use the tour operator supplied transportation and it took 3 hours to get to EDSS with multiple stops at other resorts and never more than 20-25 minutes to EPM. Perhaps we have been lucky in our previous two trips as we have never dropped anyone off at any other resorts.

I think both resorts have something different yet good to offer and I enjoyed them both for different reasons however I found there was more to keep me entertained at EPM with their variety of pools, beach and entertainment which is why I have just booked to go back this January. I would return to EDSS as well but only if it was a good deal and I had private transportation. I just personally found I got more for my $$ with EPM.

Enjoy whichever one you decide on!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
916 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

We have stayed twice at El Dorado Royale and twice at EPM, returning to EPM for third time next April. We would liked to have tried the Casitas but they were considerably more expensive than EPM so this was the deciding factor for us. Also you had to book your restaurants at EDR but Casitas got priority which was fair enough as they had paid more but it did impact on our evenings. EPM offers better rooms, no booking restaurants for anyone whether club or not therefore didn't create the difference barrier we had at EDR. EDR is a bigger resort overall so there could be a fair distance between one restaurant to another if you had to try elsewhere if one was too busy. Everything at EPM is much closer and easier to walk around and is much closer to the airport. I would book a room at EPM over one at EDR any day unless there was a big difference in price and EDR was much cheaper as I would still return as it was a lovely resort.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

My wife and I have stayed at both EDR and EPM. I can honestly tell you that for us there is no comparison. While we enjoyed both resorts EPM has our vote.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

both my wife and me have stayed at both resorts but prefer EPM as we found EDR a little to large to get around and the restaurants to spaced out we also liked the rooms at EPM much better.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

Thanks for all the replies, it looks like EPM is leading the opinion polls.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 16:14
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Dorado vs Excellence?

GLN, you do need to keep in mind that there are 3 El Dorado properties. We have been to the EDSS 8 times, the EDM 7 times (with visit #8 coming up next month) and spent a day at the EDR. We would never book the EDR, it is just too large and impersonal feeling for us (we spent a day there when it first opened and it was about half the size it is now). We also would not go back to the EDSS as it too has gotten too large (our last visit there was about 5 years ago when the first block of swim up suite was completed). We now love the EDM as it is small, intimate and feels like home. There are only 100 rooms at the EDM and the beach is the best of the 3 El Dorado properties.

I cannot give a comparison with the Excellence resorts as I would never book there due to their sizes - really over 100-150 rooms is out for us. If you have specific questions on the EDM, I am more than happy to help but feel others would be better resources for both the EDSS and the EDR. Good luck with your decision!

Edited: 20 September 2013, 16:30