We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How strong is the sun in December?

Des Moines, Iowa...
12 posts
Save Topic
How strong is the sun in December?

I haven't been to this area in Nov-Dec before. My husband and I don't burn too easily, but I want to be prepared with sunscreen...what have your experiences been around this time of year?

Va
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

I am not sure anyone can give you advice on sun screen, but pretty much when the sun it out and it is 80 degrees, you will feel the effects regardless where you are.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

Kellie H,

You can certainly burn in Mexico in Nov-Dec and we have seen it happen. We did not stay in Playa Mujeres this past December, but in the Riviera Maya and we brought plenty of SPF 30 and over that we used all the time during the day. I still tanned. We always use more sunscreen than we think we will and prefer to bring extra because it is more expensive to buy once you are down there.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

It's the tropics. Part of the definition of the tropics is that the angle of the sun and the day lenght hardly change over the course of the year. You can fry very nearly as badly on 21 December as on 21 June.

I went to medical school in Galveston, TX (far north of the tropics) and we saw some really nasty sunburns on tourists in December every year.

Use sunscreen year-round when you're out in the sun, especially in the tropics.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

It;s not as intense as in the summer, but you can still get "cookie fried" EASILY..

I am dark complected and work in the sun . If it is sunny while there I peel after every visit. Summer and in the winter,. I do use sun screens too. Obv. not enough. lol I am in the sun all day though. I would gear up just like for summer sun screen wise.

Hope this helps

UK
Level Contributor
485 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

You will still burn that's for sure. December temperatures average 28 degrees centigrade 83f. Available sun strength is about half of summer strength. Try this site cancunmap.com/weather/cancun-sun-angle.html

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

I always bring sunscreen from home - that is one thing more expensive in Mexico. :)

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

It can be very cool in late nov to early dec..I don't think there are two similar dates, year to year that have the same temps..

Case in point..

Record low temps in Cancun 3 days in a row

iceagenow.com/Record_lows_in_Cancun_three_da…

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

In Mexico,The Temps only vary about 7 to 10 Degrees.

We usually travel in December and the temps are average at80 to 85 Degrees but cooler at night at about70 to 75 Degrees..Hope this helps..

Jon

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

Sunburn has nothing to do with temperature; I've seen people with quite badly sunburned faces from underestimating the strength of the sun whilst skiing in sub-zero temperatures.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How strong is the sun in December?

You beat me to it Llisa, but I'd also like to add you can get a sunburn on an overcast day (I'm proof of that). I am usually pretty good about using the sunscreen often during the day, but because it was cloudy, I didn't feel the heat as intensely, and just wasn't paying attention to the time I was out there,