We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time visitors!

My wife and I just booked our first trip to Mexico and we chose Excellence, Playa Mujeres based on the great reviews. We are going in February to get away from the miserable Baltimore weather. I have a couple questions and would love some feedback as this is our 15th anniversary get away...We booked a nice room and payed a bit extra for the EC, is this worth it? Any suggestions on the anniversary dinner? How fancy is the attire at night- dresses and heels the for ladies? How warm are the heated pools, I hear the main pools get cold in the winter months? Any tips on "tipping" the staff - go big early or just a couple bucks here and there? Should we exchange money to tip? How bad are the bugs this time of year? How prevalent or accepted is topless sunbathing? We have a private pool at home so it's not an issue for us. Not looking to offend anyone so are we better off asking for a RTT for this (upgrade there or before hand?) Most posts I read said topless was no big deal but they were fairly old posts. Anyone been recently that can advise on this?

Mentioned in this post
Excellence Playa Mujeres
Excellence Playa Mujeres
12,991 Reviews
Playa Mujeres, Mexico
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors!

#1. We love doing EC. Esp. being able to go to the lounge for some goodies and a cocktail and the private computers. If you can afford it, do it...

#2. I would do Chez Isabella (French) for the anniversary dinner.

#3. Attire -- men -- long casual pants and a collared, sleeved shirt. Women -- anything they like. Dress, pants, capri's, top and heels are fine but not at all necessary.. I always wear flat slides for comfort.

#4. Pools in Feb. (esp. the EC pool) is very comfortable.

#5. We always use USD for tips. Easy Peezy...

#6. Never had an issue with bugs in Feb unless there is tons of rain...

#7. Topless sunbathing is mostly done on the beach not around the pools.

#8. If you want a RTT book it before you get there because in Feb the resort will probably be booked at 100%.

#9. When in Feb?? We are there from 2/18 for 10 nights....

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors!

$2.00 for breakfast

$2.00 for lunch

$5.00 for dinner

about $7.00/day for drinks throughout the day

$2.00 for maid service AM

$2.00 for turndown service PM

$2.00 -- person who restocks the fridge/booze

Figure about $22.00/day X 7 days = $154.00

But then you also have about an additional $50.00 for trans tip to resort and then back to airport and luggage person and other "thank you's". Maybe the personwho makes the omlets/eggs at breakfast. We try to tip everyone that made our vacation special.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors!

Correction: For men -- short sleeved colored shirts like a polo or Tommy Bahama....

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitors!

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. We will just miss you on the trip. We'll be there the first week in Feb. but I'm certain we'll be back. Place looks awesome.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitors!

Tim, what is your and your wife's favorite kind of food? Steak? Seafood? Oriental? Tapas? Mexican?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitors!

Another question if you have time? I'm looking for a room with a nice view of the ocean that is somewhat private. I hear the pool area can get a little noisy. Any suggestions on certain rooms that you have stayed in and can I call ahead and attempt to reserve one?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitors!

We like just about everything. Very adventurous when it comes to food. We both agree with the concept of "When in Rome" so I think we'll shoot for mostly Mexican while we're there. We get plenty of steak and seafood at home unless there is something outstanding you recommend. My plan for the anniversary evening is to find a romantic spot to chill and have a drink before dinner, followed by a nice relaxing meal, and then move to a people watching spot to smoke a cigar and sip bourbon for an hour or so. We're pretty laid back people on vacation. Any suggestions on where to go for that kind of night?

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitors!

Chez isabelle in the wine cellar for your dinner, then down to cafe Kafe for a cigar, drinks and people watching

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visitors!

Awesome. That is definitely our style. Thank you

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visitors!

* I go topless everytime I'm there - so no issue! :)

* For a great view, try upper floor in building 8B or building 9 (If you are EC, 8B gets you closer to the EC lounge, beach, and it has it's own pool with a bar).

* Congrats - you've made a great choice!