We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day done :)

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
First day done :)

So we set off yesterday to gatwick, had a very relaxing time in one of the private lounges and boarded the flight with Thomas Cook.

We had paid for an upgrade and felt for the money we had paid for the product and service fell short of what we expected. Firstly the upgrade we had paid for was for premium service - it turned out this was not a premium service as we expected and we had paid ALOT of money for a slightly different seat, with other charters when upgrading to premium you get a different service, complementary drinks, upgraded food and entertainment system - none of this was different, which we were very annoyed about after having extensive chat with the travel agent about this,

Anywho the flight was good although long and with quick procession through customs we were quickly on our way to EPM :)

When we arrived we were greeted by a wonderful man with cold towels and champagne and took us to check in.

We had booked into excellence club and the staff on reception could not see this on their booking (feeling very let down by the travel agent we had to argue that we had booking excellence club) with no fuss the staff took us to excellence check in where the staff there were amazing. Having to ring various people they agreed that we were ok to check in. As they didn't have us booked in to excellence club ocean view we were upgraded to swim out but had to wait 3 hours to get in the room. The staff gave us the allocated room in block 1 to freshen up and go for food - the ultimate professionals in amazing service :) as you can imagine after an 11 hour flight we were pretty tired by this point so decided to crash.

Today has been wonderful, short shower over breakfast and the rest if the day has been glorious. Breakfast at Toscana was lovely - freshly made omelettes are fab :) spent the rest of the day in front of our swim up, room service lunch and a quick duck into excellence lounge.

Now relaxing before we head off to the flavour market, loving being back it's fabulous - minus the hiccups :) any questions please ask :)

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First day done :)

Grab an Espresso Martini at the lobby bar after dinner. They are fab! Have a great trip :) Which building did you end up in?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First day done :)

I'm SO jealous. We were there just two weeks ago and I miss it like crazy. Have a mango colada in my honor, please!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First day done :)

Mindy, I got addicted to their Mango Colada's last month. So good.

Alladin, sounds like the remainder of your trip will be perfect now. Enjoy!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,995 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First day done :)

Sorry to hear about your day one problems - out of interest which travel agent did you book through???

Glad to hear things have not got themselves sorted out

Keep on having fun

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
611 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First day done :)

Alladin121

Hope you have a fantastic holiday. We upgraded on one previous occasion to the premium cabin (with Thomson) - It represent's very poor value for money imo also. We are flying out in 2 weeks time from Manchester with Thomson and flying dreamliner economy - At £479 per person return at the time of booking we had no interest in the upgrade - I was contacted by Thomson yesterday offering me to upgrade for £188 per person however for me it is still not attractive and knocked the offer back - For me that is money better spent in Cancun itself.

Riu Cancun once again for us - Excellent value for money, good quality accommodation and food/drinks imo of a very good standard.

Counting down the days and hours! :)

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First day done :)

Hope you have a great time,Alladin!

We are going with Thomas Cook in January and would be grateful if you could clarify how the transfer to the hotel works.Do they hold a card with your name on it?

We upgraded too,mainly for extra leg room as I am 6'3".

Enjoy!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First day done :)

Hi all,

Thank you now we have settled in we are having a great time. After quite a few alcoholic beverages yesterday and tummies full from earlier room service we decided to have a nap before getting ready for dinner. Well the nap turned into a solid 12 hours sleep :) feel very refreshed this morning and hoping jet lag all gone now :)

It's around 6am here OH has gone for a morning swim and I'm just waking up with a coffee - the Nescafé machine and pods are a welcome new addition as we didn't have those last year :)

Going to ask for a mattress topper today as although the bed is comfy I woke (from admittedly a long sleep lol) with a few aches. As always the service is amazing - there has been a change to the staff around the pool this year and they are lovely too.

Flip we travelled this year with Blue Bay Travel for the first time as Thomson had dropped the resort this seemed like a good option and from all of the reviews saying how great they are I thought we would be set but in all honesty I do feel let down by them. I even rang before we left as we had an itinerary saying one thing and tickets saying another and they said this is usual and all would be fine. It all worked out great as the resort are amazing but I don't even want to think about the headache if they weren't. We have fired off an email to the lady that we have dealt with at blue bay and she has forward the email onto customer services and we are awaiting a response.

Anyway like I said it's all a distant memory now as we are in a gorgeous room and totally enjoying our surroundings:)

Cadilacqueen we had previously requested 8b and they honoured this and gave us a swim up there - very happy lady :)

Simon N - we only flew with Thomas Cook and had arranged private transfers through jumbo tours as it gets you there that little bit quicker and after an 11 hour flight that is welcome, can definitely recommend jumbo tours coming here they were on time and efficient. The Thomas Cook guys came out of the airport and there were boards and reps there waiting so you should have no issues at all. Just remember to keep walking out of the airport to avoid the sharks :)

The extra legroom is great and very welcome as my boyfriend is 6'6 so will be worth it for you :) enjoy your holiday.

One odd thing yesterday we had a call from the Thomas Cook rep who was quite short on the phone asking why we hadn't gone to the welcome meeting - 1. We didn't travel with you only flight and 2. No one had informed us of this meeting with that she hung up very odd lol

Right I'm going to get dressed for breakfast and look forward to a chilled day number two - hoping I can stay awake till dinner tonight lol thank you for the drink ideas we tried the espresso martini last year and was delicious but would like to try the mango margarita :) that will be the drink for today as it was champagne, vodka and banana mamas yesterday (not all together I might add) - it's a hard life :) catch up with you all later :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,995 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First day done :)

Have a great day

Which building are you in now and how is the beach???

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First day done :)

Many thanks,Alladin.

Have a fantastic time.

Dorset
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First day done :)

Surprised you have issues with Blue Bay. We have used them for our last several holidays and found them to be excellent. Glad you've got it sorted out now. We are in 7b and having a great time.