We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

West Jordan, Utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

We are planning on booking a trip next year and I think I have decided on Excellence Playa Mujeres. I have read a ton of reviews and lots of forum discussions and have answered most of my questions but I want to clarify a few things.

1. What are the pool hours? I know some resorts have specified hours you can be in the pools and others just don't have a lifeguard on duty after a certain time so it is a swim at your own risk type of thing. I want to book a swim out room and would like to be able to take a dip after dinner if I want.

2. Same question for the ocean. Do they kick you out of the ocean at a certain time or can you keep swimming without a life guard on duty?

3. How about the hot tubs? Do they close at certain times? I would like to be able to soak in the jacuzzi and have a couple drinks before bed. I know I can do that in my room but I would also like the option of the other jacuzzis around the resort.

4. I have read that the ocean is pretty sandy for the most part but there are occasional rocks. Is it occasional enough that I don't need to worry about water shoes? I like to be able to just walk in and swim without worrying about hurting my feet.

5. How far out/how deep in the ocean can you walk before you hit big time rocks/reefs?

6. Does the revive bar only serve smoothie type beverages or does it also offer alcoholic beverages?

7. I believe you get hard liquor in your room whether or not you book the Excellence club. The difference is that you get to choose your booze in the Excellence club. Is that correct? If I don't book the Excellence club what booze do I get in my room?

8. Can I bring my own mug and have them fill it at the bar? This makes it more convenient so you don't have to go back as often if you have a large mug. Plus, mine is insulated so my frozen drinks don't melt :)

Thanks so much in advance for any help. I don't get to travel often so when I do I want to make sure I choose the best place for me.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

1,2 and 3 - sorry, don't know, but we didn't see anyone in the pools after dark. We did see people in the ocean after dark. At their sister resort in the DR they put chemicals in the pool in the evening, not sure if it is the same in Mexico.

4. No need for water shoes. I only recall one, small rocky area, between the EC beach and the regular beach, easily avoided.

5. Out of my depth!

6. Just smoothies

7. I think we had a bottle of Smirnoff vodka, a tequila, a rum and possibly a scotch? Can't recall if there was a gin. You also get beer and red and white wine.

8. Yes, although with the frequent beach / pool waiter service and decent sized glasses we never found it necessary at this resort.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

Regarding #1 & #2.... they do put the chemicals in the pools in the evening, they also do not "allow" swimming after about 6pm especially when it's dark, having said that we have seen people in the pools " occasionally" in the evening but they are usually asked to get out if a staff member sees them.... regarding going in the ocean in the pitch black darkness... I wouldn't do it but if you are that adventuresome they will only ask you to get out if they can see you.... it has been the same at every adult only we have been to in Mexico.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

We swam in the Ocean at night and were asked by security to move to the pools if we really wanted to swim... they did not force us out, just expressed concern for our safety. We moved to the lazy river and we have swum there at night every time we are there, and quite often speak to security while in the pool. we also have used the pool and hot tub behind 7B at night. As long as you are quiet, and not bothering others, there is not an issue.

yes, they do add chemicals at night, but it is a salt water system, so the chemicals they put in are to adjust for PH and alkalinity so nothing harsh or dangerous. We have a salt water system at home and swim right after adjustments.

The bottom is sand all the way out until well over your head. No rocks to speak of, and no coral at all. Occasionally se grass will come to shore, but we have been fortunate to have seen none on any of our previous stays.

Just smoothies.

You can bring a bubba keg, but you don't see them too much around EPM... One thing I like at EPM is that the barware is simply a resin version of a proper glass.. e.g... champagne flutes, pilsner glasses, martini glasses, wine glasses, etc. Not the generic one size fits all, or, heaven forbid, disposable cups. And wait service around the pool and beach is very efficient and frequent.

West Jordan, Utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,630 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

You do run the risk of being stung my rays even walking in the ocean at night

If you do venture into the pool at night please show courtesy to fellow guest who may be on their balconies / paiios

Edited: 27 November 2013, 16:31
West Jordan, Utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

I definitely won't be loud and obnoxious because I know I wouldn't appreciate that either. I love swimming at night so I would just like the option to relax in the pool after dark if I get the urge.

7. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:17