We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tips

Hi all,

At the Beloved Hotel now. Lots of rain.:0( quick question about tips. What do you normally tip for breakfast lunch and dinner? We are tippers, and want to make sure we are in line with what is fair. Many thanks.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips

This is my tipping guide for an all inclusive resort, but by no means do you have to give the same, give less, give more, as you deem fit. Keep in mind though, you should tip for good service, not to get good service.

--------------

You are going to get a lot of different advice about tipping at an AI, the best advice I can offer is to tip what you feel comfortable with.

Some will tip more, some won't tip at all because they have booked an "all inclusive" which states (or they have been told by their travel agent) that all tips are included. I'm using US dollars, others will say pesos are best.

$2 - $4 per day for housekeeping (perhaps more at this resort if you have one of the larger rooms)

$1 - $2 per day for turn down service at night

$2 - $4 for bell boy depending on amount of luggage

$1 - inside mini fridge because the housekeeper usually doesn't do this

$2 - for buffets if you mainly serve yourself

$5 - for a la carte restaurants

$2 - for wait service at the beach, pool, or bar, but not for every round

Sometimes we'll tip other staff you normally wouldn't think of tipping, like the bathroom attendant, gardeners, person who sweeps up around the resort or on the beach, etc. If you do this, do it discreetly, you don't want to embarrass anyone.

If I've missed anyone, I'm sure others will chime in.

----------------------------

Ontario, California
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips

We tip what we would normally tip at home: 10 - 15% of the total bill (minus the tax and booze): yes, it's all inclusive, but look at it this way: given that the tips go into a "pool" more goes a longer way and covers off more of the behind-the-scenes folks (cooks, the guys who plate up, servers, busboys, etc.).

In conversation with management at our last visit, we were told that all tips get "pooled", so:

a decent breakfast at a local diner/restaurant - ?a $20/30 bill = 15% (only, of course, with good service)

lunch at a regular joint for 2 people: $50 /60 = 15%

dinner at an average / good restaurant for 2: $120 + = 15 - 20%

that's "our way"; yours and others are likely different. Go with what you feel is appropriate!!

3. Re: Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 05:17