We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

I wanted to come here for the bright and articulate people of this forum to settle a debate I'm having with a close friend. At AI resorts do you tip after great service or follow cruise ship protocol and tip at the end of the trip? I'd also be curious to hear what amounts are being tipped. US$$

(I know this question isn't specific to EPM but I've spending much time researching this resort for a March visit and the contributors who participate appear to be knowledgable and travel savvy.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

Most people will advise you tip after you've received good service. Unlike cruise personnel, there is no guarantee the worker at the resort who gave you great service will still be their at your departure date. Many workers in hotel resorts work on rotating shifts and it would be such a shame to not be able to tip one of them who provided you with great service because they had a day off or weren't scheduled to be at work on the date of your departure. While some resorts will hold tips for their workers, I have always preferred to give tips directly to the workers themselves, as it guarantees the person who deserves the tip, is actually the one who receives it.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 09:29
Boston...
Level Contributor
818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

What Timbuk said

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

What Timbuk and Kelly R said!!!

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

I agree with previous posters. We tip after receiving good / great service. I also tip some staff at the end of the week if they have been particularly helpful or went above and beyond. An example would be someone from the entertainment team but in talking to them I would find out if they will be working so I can give it to them when I see them toward the end of of our trip.

This is just a rough idea as we do tip for very good service above and beyond. I use pesos not USD it used to be 12 or 10 to 1 rough exchange not sure now it's been a couple of years.

Housekeeping 20 for cleaning and turndown

Minibar refill 20

Breakfast 20 -50

Lunch 50- 100

Dinner 50-100

Bartenders 20 occasionally or more if we are hanging out and ordering at the same bar

Servers 20 occasionally or more if we have had several orders and tip at the end

Bell hops 20-50

This is just a reference and if I received mediocre service I wouldn't tip.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
350 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

I agree with timbuk2, and we always tip as we go. On our trip to EPM last summer, I saw a guy walk up to the bartender at the main pool bar on his first day. He gave the employee $100 USD on his first day there to make sure he was well taken care of for the remainder of his trip. I found that pretty creative and very generous!

chateauguay quebec
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

same as 1wink1,

but I do travel alone, so amount might be a bit lower. I have calculate about 10$ a day of tip!

Sue

Maine
Level Contributor
118 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

The return on investment is HUGE. For 2 or 3 dollars to servers, bartenders and housekeepers they will take care of you. Additionally I think that they all work pretty hard and don't make a lot in salary so they should be rewarded somehow.

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
379 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

I agree completely. Locally, following good service on a $150/$200 meal, I would tip 20%, at an AI when receiving wonderful service, I will leave $20 at the end of a full meal. I will also tip $2 per round at the bar, leave $5 per day for housekeeping and tip the concierge for great service as well. We are there in 2 weeks (can't wait) for 5 days and plan to spend about $200 in tips. These folks make far far less than our service staff locally and should receive the same as locally. Many will disagree with me however, and suggest that tips are part of an AI experience but I will always tip.

to the OP, have a great time in March!!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

I tip the same % as at home for good to great service at the time of service.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres Great Tipping Debate

Ultimately tipping is at your discretion and what you are comfortable with and feel is appropriate. The staff are very gracious and happy to receive a tip. In our 4 previous trips I have never experienced a staff member hanging around for a tip in fact sometimes they are so quick you don't have time to tip.

We also tip for room service when they deliver and set it up nicely and are friendly. Concierge when they do a great job helping us arrange an excursion or a special request.