We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you tip the cleaning people?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How do you tip the cleaning people?

And for that matter how do you tip the people who restock your fridge?

If you just leave cash out how do they know they can take it? Are there writing instruments in the room which you can use to write a note saying "for you?" Or "por usted?"

I guess I could put the restocker's tip in the fridge...

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Scuba & Snorkeling
Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

We normally leave it out somewhere with a small note. There is a notepad and pen. The guy who stocks the fridge, yes we leave it within the fridge. And also a small tip for the lady who does the turndown service at night.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

Tip for the maid goes on the pillow; tip for the fridge restocker in or on top of the fridge.

Boston...
Level Contributor
876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

We put the mini bar tip in the mini bar underneath one of the beer bottles hanging over the edge. We leave the tip for the cleaners/turn down service on the pillow

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

Housekeeping we just lay it on the bed. Mini fridge person, we put in the fridge. Last year we put $5 in the fridge with a note of what we wanted in there, took the cash, never brought what we wanted. had to call a couple times the next afternoon to get anything refilled.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

We leave the tips for housekeeping on the pillow and the tip for the mini bar inside. If we place an order for anything left in the X-box...we leave the tip inside the box. We have not left notes, there hasn't been any confusion.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

Bisquit:

Maybe the problem with the mini-bar guy was a language problem. We wanted peanut M&Ms, so we left him a note asking for Cacahuate M&Ms. He left us several bags of peanuts and several bags of regular M&Ms. We did get a good laugh out of it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

Don't think there was a language barrier..... I wrote "Por favor sólo" which translates to "please only" and then wrote Dos XX, Agua, coca cola, sprite.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 21:02
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

I do the same, pillow and in the fridge, but I also take out what we don't want in the mini fridge and put them on the dresser and leave what we do want with a note in the mini fridge. Seems to work well:)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

I leave a note (written in Spanish) wrapped around the cash on the desk or bedside table. I clear some space around it so it's obvious.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do you tip the cleaning people?

Some of the resorts have an card with your maids name on it..We place the tip underneath it with a handwritten note saying Gracias..The card is normally on a table or bedside night stand