We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

We are travelling to EPM in April and received the following email from our travel agent today:

"The information we have received from our overseas team is that Excellence Group are to construct a new hotel, Finest Playa Mujeres, on the land next to Excellence Playa Mujeres. Work has commenced on clearing the ground in preparation for the foundations to be laid which will commence from March 2014. The area of construction is located on the land to the left hand side of the hotel. Due to the nature of the work, some noise and visual disturbance may be experienced, particularly in areas close to the work. Rooms within block 9/9a which is the

building containing guest accommodation within close proximity of the site will be closed during the duration of the work."

Does anyone have any further info about this? Hope it doesn't mean there will be overbooking if 2 blocks are closed?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

Goodness I didn't even consider overbooking!

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

We are non excellence rooms but not sure where they will put excellence club guests if they are losing half the blocks? It may be the agent has got it wrong about the closure but it is a bit worrying to think there may be a lot less rooms available especially when we are there over the Easter hols, which I assume would be a busy time.

England
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

Which travel company are you going with? Did they give you the opportunity to change hotels? Sounds like it is going to cause a fair bit of disruption as it is right next door! We are also due to go here for our honeymoon! This has definitely put a downer on it for us! I think we will more than likely cancel or change hotel! We won't get the opportunity to do this type of holiday again as it's so expensive so I don't want a once in a lifetime trip to be ruined by construction noise!! I hope you manage to get things sorted!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
918 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

Got me worried too. We're also non EC and I rang Caribbean Warehouse today as I was a little worried about construction and they told me they knew nothing about it but then they would say that wouldn't they. Guess that will be block 7b impossible.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

I know what you mean Lindsey... we just don't want to jump the gun too soon. We spent ages decided on EPM and now have our hearts set on it..it would be gutting to switch hotels and then find that construction wasn't an issue. But then it would be even worse to go in the hope it would be fine but have it wreck our holiday!

Although not our honeymoon (like you Lindsey) this really is a once in a lifetime holiday/celebration. I understand why the hotel are being cagey but they really should be more upfront about the degree of disruption.

England
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

Exactly it seems the travel companies aren't dealing with it very well! we rang over a week ago and they told us they would get back to us within 48hours and never did! I also emailed the hotel directly over a week ago and heard nothing back from them either! So things haven't started well and we haven't even got there yet! And at this rate doesn't look like we will be doing! Lol. Hope everyone gets their holidays sorted!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
182 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

There is a new review that shows a picture of the construction from the balcony of their room in block 9.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

We are travelling with Thomas Cook. They did say we could change hotels without an amendment charge but would have to pay any difference if more expensive or get refund if cheaper.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

Just looked at the pictures on the new review. Doesn't look good does it :-/

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Closure of block 9 and 9a at EPM?

Its definitely a good idea to follow along to see what is happening and to be informed.. HOWEVER, I would try and avoid getting too stressed over things. The reality is that there are many factors completely out of your control which could affect your holiday. You may decide to cancel EPM and change your reservation to <insert hotel name here> only to find they are hosting this years "Rowdy Large Group" annual conference, or maybe they have smaller scale renovations going on constantly throughout that resort (which happens - they have to keep things looking nice) and by dumb luck they happen to be working on the block next to yours the week you are there.

Closing block 9 sounds like a good idea if the building work is going to be any kind of noisy, but people who were staying at EPM whilst TBH (just as close but on the other side) have said it caused only minimal disruption.

We will be at EPM in May and have no second thoughts about doing so. We are just excited!

I really hope it works out for the best for you all, whatever decisions you make

Happy Travels

- SH