We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPM Lazy River

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
EPM Lazy River

Hi all..

Just a quick question about the lazy river water depth. I've seen a few posts about the depth only been at waist deep but then the top (ground level) where you haul yourself out being at shoulder height. Has it always been this sort of depth as I've just seen a photo in the EPM downloadable brochure of a swim up room with the water level close to the top. Are the pools at the same or is the water level higher than the lazy river? Surely with lack of exit ladders it would make it easier to get out if the water was closer to the top.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EPM Lazy River

For me, at 6ft, the water level is higher than my waist but lower than chest height. The problem with people describing their perceived depth is that they never spill the beans about their height.

I do wish people used standard units e.g., as long as a London Bus, as high as Nelson's Column and as heavy as an Elephant, then we'd all know where we stood.

John

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
689 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EPM Lazy River

LOL John....or that strength levels were even. I am a 5'6" grandmother, not particularly athletic. With a few bounces I could get out. Wasn't pretty but doable if necessary. It also isn't a mile to the next steps.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: EPM Lazy River

Hi, Cheriton:

I was the one who'd mentioned waist-high water and shoulder-high wall, and that was the case in front of my swim-up suite in building 5. That was the case at all the swim-up suites I floated by (buildings 1 through 6).

As I floated around the lazy river, I noticed at some places on the spa side, where the landscaping came right up to the wall and there was no expectation of a pool exit, that the wall must've been lower because the water height was equal to the wall height.

I mentioned in one of my posts that I'm 5'3, 175 pounds, not physically fit. I could easily sit on the wall and then slide into the pool, but could not get back out even with a few bounces. The steps are not a mile away; they're several yards away and about a 2 to 3 minute walk to get back.

Most of my discussion about this in other posts was not intended as a criticism or complaint, but trying to accurately describe it for any first-timers on the forum who were trying to decide whether to choose swim-up or not.

CanadianGirl (and her Guy) are there right now in a building 5 swim-up, maybe she can give an additional description.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: EPM Lazy River

If you think of a persons natural waist, just under the bust, it's really not that far from waist to shoulder, especially on someone that is 5"3 like the poster is (I am 5"1 so I understand) That's how I would have described the depth of the water, actual waist height, not hip height like some people think of when people say waist deep, and I would say that natural waist deep was the depth when I was there in November.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 01:45
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: EPM Lazy River

Oh, also, on one little extension of the lazy river as is gets farther from the spa and closer to the pool, there is place where the they've built a pool-tile platform in the pool where lounge chairs are placed in the water.

The water comes up to cover about 2 to 3 inches of the lounge chairs. When you sit in the lounge chairs, you're still out of the water, unlike the hammocks where you are partially in the water.

At that point, the water from the lazy river covers the platform a.k.a. the water height is equal to and a little higher than the platform, but still lower than the real wall behind the lounge chairs.

The platform is lower and I could sit on that and then get out of the water.

That was on the non-suite side of the lazy river though, not the suite side. After exiting the pool there, you still need to walk back to your suite, again about 2 or 3 minute walk.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: EPM Lazy River

How hard is it to find a hammock available? I'd imagine lots of guests looking to relax in them. Where are they situated and how many roughly? We will be staying in a swim up room non ec

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: EPM Lazy River

Actually, the hammocks were surprisingly available when I was there.

There was at least one group of 4 hammocks on the lazy river near the spa, maybe there were two groups there.

There was a group of 4 hammocks in the lazy river in front of building 8.

I know there are other groups, I just don't remember where.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EPM Lazy River

On our four trips to EPM we rRely saw all the hammocks in use. Ditto for the swinging king size beds.... But the kings under the thatched palapas outside building 8 were always occupied

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: EPM Lazy River

Cheriton:

I went to look at the EPM brochure you mentioned.

The picture on Page 13 of the couple lounging in the grassy area gives the most accurate depiction of the water height and wall height of the lazy river.

That patio behind them is probably an EC patio. The non-EC patios are very nice, but not as fancy and luxurious as that photo.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
918 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EPM Lazy River

I think the hammocks are far more difficult to get yourself into than getting onto a floatie. Perhaps that's why they are often free.