We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursion advice

Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Excursion advice

Morning. We went and asked about the trips to Chitzen Izta and would like some help please. The Passion coach trip with food and drink included is $108 each, you are out from half 7 till half 6. The minivan trip with the hotel is $140 each, buffet and water included out from half 7 till 6pm or the private tour is $480 per vehicle so $240 each for us. Had anyone done any of these options and in your opinion what did you like about the option you chose?

I didn't like the idea of a big coach trip until I realised the amenities you get l, and the minivan option is only saves 30mins but the private tour seems very expensive.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursion advice

Claire/Tom,

We are going to EPM next month and have booked a private tour to Chichen Itza/A cenote/Valladolid with Canada Transfers and the cost was a little over $300 for the vehicle. We are going to be picked up at the hotel at 0700 and I am told we will be back somewhere around 1700. So obviously I can't tell you how it works out, I am just mentioning it because its a lot cheaper than the $480 you were quoted by someone.

Would love to know what you think of Chichen Itza if you do go!

Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursion advice

Thanks SimpleHedgehog. We are going to go so I will let you know our experiences. Just still not sure yet about which method of transport.

One woman who works here said if we can manage 11hrs on a plane to get to Mexico she's sure a couple of hours on a coach will be fine. It's just it's such a long day

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursion advice

We did the trip to Chichen Itza by the coach and yes it was comfortable and had amenities on board but it was a long day and we spent and hour each way picking up / dropping people off. Make sure you take plenty of water , sun cream and a hat or umbrella for shade it gets really hot at the site and wear comfortable shoes there is lots of walking.

Check if they will be making stops on the way... The coach stopped at a shopping outlet on the way which was naff and unnecessary but I guess they get commission. On the return lunch was provided at a local restaurant which has people dancing with corona bottles on their heads very cheesy then we had a dip in a cenote which was very refreshing and the best part of the day.

Personally I enjoyed the shorter trip to Tulum combining that with a trip to a cenote or to Akumal . Chichen Itza is a long day and I was underwhelmed, too many vendors pestering you to buy $1 tat spoiled the experience for us.

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursion advice

Hey. Can you still climb to the top of the main pyramid?

We did that 20 years ago and it's still one of the best photographs we have. Totally bombed out but happy just sitting on top of a pyramid together (twas a hot day)

Enjoy your day, however you get there.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursion advice

$300 isn't too bad for two people with transport and admission to the site. Would it be much cheaper to rent a car and buy the site ticket when there or at the resort? If so whats the best car rental company to go with? Would only be for the one day. Does the private tour with canada transfers include the pool stop as well?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursion advice

@scubadoob no they stopped people from climbing the pyramid a few years ago.

You can still climb the pyramid a Coba ... 126 steps

Edited: 13 April 2014, 20:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursion advice

That's a shame.

We did Ek Balam last year.

It didn't hold a candle to the experience at Chichen but those reliefs at the top of the main pyramid are well worth seeing close up

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursion advice

dec87, You couldn't pay me enough to persuade me to rent a car for the day, so I can't help you there! But in regard to the Canada Transfers tour.. the price for two adults is $314 (they allowed me to pay in CDN at par - quite a saving at the moment) and according to their website:

Includes:

*Private van and bilingual Driver

*Admission to Chichen and all road fees

*Lunch and admission to Cenote Ikil

*Visit to a Mexican Town(Valladolid)

Does not Include:

*Professional tour guide in Chichen Itza(About $70.00 dlls total ) this is optional

*Tip for the driver

Optional

*Visit Ek Balam mayan temples $12.00 dlls per person

We aren't having lunch at the Cenote so they knocked a few dollars off. Instead we will be going for lunch in Valladolid. Thats the advantage of a private tour, they are happy for us to tweak the schedule

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursion advice

A 6pm return on the bus? Its more like 8 or 9pm. I Have never done it, but always see the bus come back about that time. They tell you 6pm just to sell u on it.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 21:30
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Excursion advice

How much notice do you have to give them for booking the tour? We are going mid july