We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Topic
Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

This trip has been planned so I can propose to my girlfriend. I have looked up different ways of doing it and came across the following:

Dinner on the Beach $200

Wine Cellar Dinner $100

Walk along beach at sunset

Somewhere romantic on Isla Mujeres

Excusrions such as Chichen Itza??

I want to make it special and something both of us will remember. She knows it will be happening but just not exactly when or how. What would you suggest to help a guy out here who hasn't a clue. Like the idea of the private beach dinner which they decorate the room while you are there but read some people saying food is cold, sand blowing , bugs etc. I would be planning to have the 7.15pm sitting for the dinner if I went for that and according to the internet sunset is about 7.30pm in mid july so that would be a nice setting.

I like the idea of proposing somewhere different and away from the normal romantic meal type proposal but wondering what your views are on a proposal at Chichen Itza. Be quite unique getting engaged at one of the wonders of the world.

Open to all sorts of ideas and suggestions. Thanks

Riverside...
Level Contributor
95 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

I like the idea of you proposing at Chichen Itza! As you stated you want something you will both remember & what a story to tell your kids/grandkids about popping the question at one of the new seven wonders of the world?? We are heading to EPM this Friday & have booked a private Chichen Itza tour (we dictate how lib we stay at ruins, cenote, town, etc) with Entertainment Plus. If you tell them in advance your idea maybe they can help with the proposal :)

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

How public would your girlfriend like the proposal to be? I personally would like a sunset beach walk or private dinner.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
448 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

I never recommend the Chichen Itza trip, because it is a long hot day, but it would make for a spectacular and memorable engagement, a great story to tell. You could come back and do the romantic dinner after.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

Im having mixed feelings about Chichen Itza. Part of me wants to do it there because how unique and different it would be and as you said could come back for a romantic meal that evening but also the long hot sweaty day aswel puts me off. She wouldn't want it done in front of a crowd spectating like in the middle of a restaurant but wouldn't mind people seeing it if happened on beach or Chichen Itza.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

Or what about Tulum? A nice romantic spot on a nice beach with incredible view or scenery would be her ideal choice too but I've never been to Mexico before so its hard to know where to look for

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

I've been to both Tulum & chichen itza. Out of the two Tulum is more romantic. Chichen Itza is a long, hot day & personally I don't feel it's romantic at all. I rather romance than a story. I like the beach idea. Whatever you do you will both remember it and it will be special.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
170 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

I don't think chichen Itza would be a nice romantic relaxing one.

The dinner on the beach can be really good, but if it gets windy, rainy, buggy may not be.

I would say go, watch the weather and figure what you both enjoy and do it as you feel and it will be special.

Maybe a walk along the beach to see the moon and the lights of the island across the way, it will be less people around and romantic.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

I thought about it. I think go all out all day! Walk along the beach during the day, private dinner at chez, after hit up the Kafe cafe or lobby for a cocktail to bring to the x-lounge or beach to hear the ocean & stare at the stars :) pop the question & have them have the room set up with candles, roses, bubble bath & champagne. Sounds like the perfect day to me. Just told my husband he better do it for my 40th in September lol. No matter what it will be your special day, you will both remember.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

It has to be right for her - we don't know her and our idea of romance may be her idea of hell!

That said - Tulum - I loved it. We were, along with one other couple, the first people there the day we went and there was something beautiful about the completely deserted ruins. With crowds though, not my idea of romance.

I wonder if the concierge could help you if you decide to do it at EPM - I'm thinking a nice but normal restaurant dinner then a stroll to eg a candlelit (by the concierge) wedding gazebo or Xlounge - just the two of you, a bottle of bubbly on ice. Quiet, ideally stars in the sky and sounds of the ocean.

My two cents - it doesn't matter where or how you do it, she and you will remember it always.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for proposing to my Girlfriend when staying at EPM

At the minute im thinking something nice around the hotel or beach but also considering Isla Mujeres if there is something better there. Emailed the hotel and they said they can arrange a beach dinner at $200 but heard people saying food was cold and has to be nice and calm weather for it to be worthwhile.