We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few questions

Anderson, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Just a few questions

My wife and I are going to be at EPM in June, we are also doing a 6 hr fishing trip while there, does anybody know if there is an ATM on site so i dont have to bring all that cash with me? Also anybody here have experience with fishing charters? I wanted to know what kind of tip I should leave for the people on the boat.

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Scuba & Snorkeling
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a few questions

There is an ATM on site. It just gives out dollars and charges a fee. Can't comment on the fishing soz :-)

Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a few questions

Eeek - ATMs that give out dollars will typically charge a significant premium for doing so. You might want to try to track down an ATM that doles out pesos (preferably a bank affiliated one).

Scarsdale, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a few questions

there were a few fees at the ATM, and they were SIGNIFICANT. Normally that stuff does not bother me but it came up to like 30-40 dollars for a $200 withdrawal. Didnt do it.

Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a few questions

Most excursion/tour companies will accept credit cards. Check to see if the card company charges a converstion fee, but even that may be less than getting cash from an on site ATM.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 21:46
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a few questions

The lobby ATM did not work for us at all, and I know we aren't the only ones. YMMV.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a few questions

This will definitely reveal my age .... how about traveler's checks?

Or maybe, just thinking here, you can load up a VISA gift card with the money? No idea if that works.

As for the tips, traditionally in fishing charter deals the captain is who you pay for the trip and as such his profit is in the fee. You tip the mate. The rate is anywhere from 10 - 20% depending on how good your luck was. No fish = 10% ... a boatload of fish = 20%

Edited: 25 April 2014, 22:18
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just a few questions

Travelers checks can be hard to cash (impossible some times) so unless you KNOW your hotel will cash them then I wouldn't take them. Pre-paid Visa cards seem to work fine.

Level Contributor
231 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just a few questions

I have never been deep sea fishing while in Mexico, but we go every year when we vacation in North Carolina. We tip the captain 15-20% and the deck mate 10-15% of the total cost. Lower if we didn't catch much and higher if we did. We also use the same captain/boat...so I don't know if we are tipping correctly or not. We also tip extra if the deck mate prepares the fish for us to take home.

9. Re: Just a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16