We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pyramids

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
550 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
pyramids

My husband really wants to go to the pyramids while we are at EPM, are they real far, and is it worth it we will be there for 11 days. Do you book it while you are there or before?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pyramids

Chichen Itza and Ek Balam are roughly 2.5 -3 hours travel time west. Coba and Tulum are roughly a similar travel time south.

Here are a few links to start your research

entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/…

entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/tour.asp…

entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/tour.asp…

http://www.yucatreks.com/

Depending upon your trip, look into whale sharks;

onislamujeres.com is one of many

Edited: 22 April 2014, 17:38
Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pyramids

CI is a very well developed archeological site. You can no longer climb the pyramid. Coba is not as developed. You can still climb the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan. Both are well worth the visit. Enjoy!

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pyramids

Since the state of Campeche is part of the Yucatan Peninsula and Structure 2 at Calakmul is 45 meters high ( 148' ) it is taller than Coba's Ixmoja Pyramid at 42 meters ( 138') high....

Riverside...
Level Contributor
95 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pyramids

My husband & I just returned from a private Chichen Itza tour that we booked through USA Transfers/Entertainment Plus. We also did Tulum on Tuesday with the same company and hands down, for us at least, it's definitely with the extra 30 mins each way to drive into Chichen Itza!! We were picked up at 7:30, arrived at CI just before 10, our driver Ariel was also our guide and he gave us about a 2 hour tour/history lesson. After that we went to IIk Kil Cenote for a prepaid lunch (you can swim too but the line to jump off the cliff was too long) and then drove into the town of Valladolid. We were dropped off at 4:30......yes a 9 hour day but so worth it to see one of the new 7 Wonders of the World!!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pyramids

If you can go to Chichen Itza & Ek Balam where you can climb the pyramid. The combination can not be beat in the area in my opinion. Our private tour included a stop at Valladolid for lunch which we chose & enjoyed a great lunch at Hotel El Mason del Marques on the main square. Loved it all. Hope you do to. Try & book a cloudy day. It is very hot inland.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pyramids

What other lunch places did you consider? We are trying to make a decision - a part of me just feels wrong about eating in a hotel v a local restaurant although I've heard the good us good. Was it busy?

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: pyramids

Haven't been there in awhile but Meson de Marques has good food and while you can eat indoors, it is nice to sit and eat outside in their little patio area by the fountains. I loved the Papadzules which I have found hard to find elsewhere near the beach areas.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pyramids

Thanks for the correction carico! Since I visited Calakmul from Tikal I just didn't think of it as part of the peninsula. Have never tried to map a trip there from the coastal areas.

9. Re: pyramids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16