We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets SilverSands or Excellence Riviera Cancun

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets SilverSands or Excellence Riviera Cancun

I know it's really quite subjective but wondering for those of you who've been to both resorts which was your favourite and why? I can get a good deal on both of these resorts for early September for our wedding anniversary but torn between which one to go for. We've previously been to EPM which we absolutely loved - couldn't fault it but can't afford it this time round.

I like the look of the SSS rooms which online look more similar in style to EPM - I do prefer a more modern hotel and ERC rooms look older in style. However we do prefer a quieter holiday, don't like it too rowdy or 'too party'!! Also we feel that we've experienced the Excellence brand and know how great it was (albeit in a different resort).

Any help pls :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,899 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets SilverSands or Excellence Riviera Cancun

Hi

The best forum for your question is the Puerto Morelos Forum as it covers both ERC & SSS

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g240327-i395-Pue…

We have also been to EPM and also ERC & SSS so you may want to check out my reviews of the latter two and also my photo albums on SlickPic

http://flipflopman.slickpic.com/gallery/

You are correct that SSS has nice large modern rooms with a well designed bathroom and it can either be open plan with the bedroom / lounge area or partitioned off by moving some sliding mirrored walls

The downside of SSS is the beach and the ocean floor is very rocky indeed, Also shade is at a premium both on the beach and around the pools. It does have far more of a funky party atmosphere than SSS. It also has less dining options for all three meals of the day

They are both great resort but of you are looking for a quieter resort property of the two I would opt for ERC albeit it does have an older feel to it

Feel free to PM me with any questions

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets SilverSands or Excellence Riviera Cancun

When I first started looking it was between these two. Now I'm sold on Excellence playa mujeres.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets SilverSands or Excellence Riviera Cancun

We stayed at ERC last year and loved it. We had considered SSS and took a long walk up the beach to take a look. We did not like the beach there at all. Very narrow and rocky. The crowd around the pool looked young and were quite noisy. We have not stayed there but were pleased we chose ERC over SSS. We are at epm now and are loving every minute. Enjoy whichever resort you choose

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets SilverSands or Excellence Riviera Cancun

SSS and ERC are similar resorts (been to both).

The differences:

Architecture: SSS is modern and minimalist, ERC is more traditional.

Food: I think the food at ERC was better than SSS but to be fair, we only stayed at SSS for three nights and did not experience all of the restaurants. Also, our trip to ERC was in 2009.

Beds and room amenities: SSS is much better that ERC (we stayed in standard swim outs at both resorts). The beds at ERC were pretty bad but the ones at SSS were great.

Service: I think ERC wins. We had really good service in 2009.

Beach: I think both have crappy beaches but ERC's is less crappy.

Atmosphere: ERC is quiet and SSS is more fun. You can still find peace at SSS but it is easier to find a party at SSS. Nonetheless, I had a very relaxing rainy day at SSS sitting on my patio, listening to the rain hit the pool and hearing the wildlife in the mangroves. That day was also spent with room service and multiple naps in the comfy bed. Speaking of room service, the offerings were better at ERC.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets SilverSands or Excellence Riviera Cancun

We have been to both. I would chose Excellence over SSS. The setup is about the same, but I def. liked the food, drinks, rooms, and beach at Excellence better. And I agree with the above post that the room service selections were better at Excellence and it was a bit more of a partying crowd at SSS. But the one thing I did enjoy was when we were at SSS it was July 4 and there was a live band at the pool that was awesome and played great music! We stayed at Excellence in April of 2011 and SSS July of 2011.

6. Re: Secrets SilverSands or Excellence Riviera Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 06:15