We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book EPM

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When to book EPM

We stayed at Excellence Punta Cana for ten days this past February and loved it but would like to try EPM for our Feb. 2015 ten day vacation from the Midland snowstorms.

My question is this: do we have to book our combined flight (from Toronto and prefer West Jet) and EPM (probably non EC Junior Suite spa or pool view) soon or can we wait until July or August?

We would prefer to wait but this resort sounds so popular that we don't want to miss out on good non-stop flight times or our preferred room choice.

Thank you in advance for some advice from you repeat EPM visitors.

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Scuba & Snorkeling
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to book EPM

Most of the time we book our flights with either Westjet or AC ( we prefer Westjet as well ) so we nail down the flights. Then we book Excellence direct on their website. Typically the lowest rates are with the charters and not Westjet vacations or Air Canada vacations anyways.

Couple of advantages: you only pay for the airfare at time of booking. You do not pay a penny until for the Excellence resort until 4 days before your trip. You can cancel EPM if you want anytime before then. And if the rates for EPM go down! then you call them and they'll give you the lower rate. If it goes up, you're locked in.

Downside: you pay for EPM in US$ so if the Canadian dollar weakens your cost goes up but you can always buy US$ between now and then.

Then you book a private transfer and it's all done till you go.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to book EPM

That's pretty much how we did it this trip - book WestJet direct (prefer their times) and hotel directly, calling to get lower prices if they go down (and they have). It was cheaper for us to do this than any if the package deals / website booking sites.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to book EPM

How much does the private transfer usually cost round trip?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When to book EPM

I booked flights with westjet through a uk travel website and the hotel with hotels.com. I could have saved about $500 booking through the hotel direct but they only accept credit cards and all I have is Visa Debit so had to book through UK website and the exchange rate from Canada to the UK killed me.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When to book EPM

Ive researched Cancun transfers and USA transfers and they come in at $69 round trip to EPM.

entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When to book EPM

Just booked Canada Transfers for transfer to EPM and cost $65 round trip and they also say that can be paid in Canadian Dollars at $65 also so this will be the cheapest option for Canadians going to EPM. You can order beers and soft drinks for $1 so I will have 3 bottles of Corona sitting waiting on me. Start as you mean to go they say!!

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to book EPM

Thanks for all the useful information in reference to booking and airport transfers. I did check a Westjet flight and EPM reservation booked separately and even with the weak Canadian dollar, it is cheaper than the Sunquest package on Itravel 2000.

Still not sure how soon we need to book the flight if we want to go the end of February.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to book EPM

That's a tough question regarding the air travel. I just checked Feb 7 to 14 and it's coming in slightly less than CDN $600 per person which doesn't look too bad to me. I guess it all depends on whether you're comfortable with the dates and the fare.You book it, pay for it and forget about it.

One great thing about booking air and resort separately, particularly from Toronto, is that both WJ and AC fly 7 days per week to Cancun. So this way you can put together a 7, 8, 9, 10-day or whatever length you want to stay. We like 10days, ourselves. Fly down on a Friday and Back a week the following Monday.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 14:02
Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to book EPM

Just another question: If we go ahead and book the flight with Westjet and something happens that we can't go those dates due to illness or something else, will WJ give us a refund or credit or do we have to get trip cancellation right away?

And do you suggest we book the flight directly with WestJet or with our usual Travel Agent here in Midland?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to book EPM

you can book on line or with your travel agent or call westjet reservations. we either call or book on-line but it's up to your comfort level.

If you call westjet reservations (or your TA) they'll tell you what the cancellation terms are. They're usually non-refundable. But with a change fee you can usually change the dates subject to paying the then going rate for the alternate flight. But this all depends on the fare level. Usually the cheaper the ticket, the less flexibility you have. for example we recently changed a return flight to Ottawa, we paid a $75 + GST change fee and the ticket was about $20 more so $75 + $20 + GST.

all best todiscuss with Westjet or your travelagent before you do anything.