We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Destination Thesis - The Preparation

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
My Destination Thesis - The Preparation

According to the Vacances Air Canada's reminder, I'm 63 days away from EPM. I have so much to do before boarding that plane.... including grading a ton of final papers, transcribing my last recorded interviews and finishing up writing some journal articles. These are the days of a doctoral candidate. ¡Qué divertido!

As I'm planning this trip, some questions pop out. I searched the forum, but no answers were really satisfactory. Before I contact EPM, I'd like to know what you have to say, dear forum contributors, and hence leaving traces in the archives.

1- I read there is a printer in the « library ». Is it still there? Do we have to pay to use it? Ever use it? I'll need to print a couple of pages (5-10) every other day and I'm debating if I bring my own travel printer or not (luggage space will be scarce).

2- I'll have a power bar to facilitate the plugging of all my electronic devices. But I wonder: if I'm sitting outside on the patio with my computer (non-EC swim up, no idea which building yet), how long is it between the table and the nearest electrical outlet? Do I need to bring an extension cord? If so, how long should it be: 3 meters (9 feet)? 5 meters (15 feet)?

3- I won't be tipping much (probably not more than 10$ a day) as every penny saved was use to pay for this trip. When I was in Cuba, previously, maids were happy to receive some perfume, cream and sample size makeup. I do have a lot of those. Will the maids be insulted if I leave little gifts instead of money? Anybody has done that?

Looking forward to read your thoughts about these much pragmatic questions!

St. Thomas Ontario
Level Contributor
358 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Destination Thesis - The Preparation

When there in February, there were printers beside the work stations in the internet library. I didn't see a sign saying you had to pay though, pretty sure they were complimentary but wouldn't hurt to double check.

We were able to plug our laptop in on the table on our Non EC swim up as there is an outlet right beside the table.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My Destination Thesis - The Preparation

Thank you thepauls, this is really helpful!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Destination Thesis - The Preparation

I would bring an extension cord, the longer one, just in case. It doesn't take up that much room.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would have to say no to leaving toiletries instead of money. I know you mean well, but I'm sure they'd rather see $1 than a sample size toiletry. Mexico is different than Cuba because the employees can buy just about anything they need or want. Although tips are supposedly included in the AI plans, most people do tip because the service is usually very good. Don't feel you have to overextend your budget though, you will most likely get the same service whether you tip or not, because the Mexican workers really try to make your stay a good one. I think I would take care of the housekeeper for sure and then go from there. I think you mentioned you won't be dining out a lot, so you won't have to worry about tipping at the a la carte restaurants, and even $2 for the buffet or room service is better than nothing.

I hope you have a great stay and get everything accomplished that you need to. Good luck.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My Destination Thesis - The Preparation

Thanks a lot for your input mo32! I asked exactly to avoid any kind of faux pas as I have little experience in all-inclusive resorts and never been to Mexico. I will follow your advice.

5. Re: My Destination Thesis - The Preparation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:16