We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What would you do?

This is our first adults only since we've had our boys so over 4 yrs and first time at EPM. We will only be going 6 nights. I would like to get the most out of this vacation, however I'm not sure if we would need EC since we like to spend a lot of time at the swim up bar & lazy river. We are going with one or two other couples and can get a little on the louder side having fun and drinking. Here are my questions. Knowing that should we consider EC? Also we want a swim up.

Other question. Deciding on flights. There are two non stop out of JFK.

Aero Mexico 7:10-10:35/ 5:44-10:37 so we would have more time, but maybe really tired

Jet Blue 9:59-1:04/ 2:00-6:41 we get in late & leave early, however it's also as of today $340 more!

Last week there was only about a $50 difference between the two. I could take my chances & see if the flights go down.....

Thanks!

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do?

Dawn, a couple things. I would probably not go EC, given what you said. I think if you guys are more pool bar people then you might not get the full benefits of the 'quiet' areas of the EC pools / beach. Also, if you are not EC, then no chance of being put in building 9, right??

Second, I would opt for the early flight. It's great to get in early to the resort. Even though your room won't be ready, you can use all the facilities and start eating / drinking / using the pools as soon as you get there. Just put your swimsuits in your carry on. We had a 6:10 am flight last Saturday and we were at the resort by 10:00 AM. It was great! Plus much shorter lines at customs when you get to Cancun earlier in the morning. When you get there, you will be much too excited to be tired. Might catch up with you later that night, but who cares - sleep it off!

Another hint - if you keep checking the same flights on the same computer, there is a cookie on there. And they will keep raising the prices. A lot of people don't know this. Clear your cache, cookies, temporary files, or check prices on a different computer for your flight before you book it. Airlines can see if you keep checking the same flight and a lot of people think just because it gets closer the price goes up... it's because there is a cookie on your computer and they know you keep checking it.

Any other questions, let me know...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do?

Dawn, I wouldn't book EC purely based on the possibility of getting building 9. I would also opt for the earlier flight too (assuming there is no discernable difference between the two airlines that makes one way better than the other?)

Travelinman, think that hint is the most helpful I have read on here, ever, and it isn't even about my holiday to Mexico! I keep checking BA and Virgin Atlantic flight prices for my flights to Vancouver in July and the prices just keep rising everyday - perhaps this is why. Will immediately go and clear these!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do?

I normally use my iPad, so today I checked on my husbands computer that I haven't used & it was the same price. Just so upset that I didn't book last week :( It was $2611 for the 6 nights with aero Mexico now it's up to $2911 & Jet blue is $2571. I've seen it go up & down........so maybe I will give it a few more weeks. Should probably see what my friends say too, but it's for my birthday & I'm doing all the research & planing.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you do?

Harriet let me know if it works. Prices on air also go up as the plane fills up.

Bath
Level Contributor
360 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you do?

I have never been to EPM so I cannot for sure answer your question regarding EC or not however if I were you I would take the early flight. You arrive in Cancun at 10.30 which means you should be at the hotel around 12pm: happy welcome drink, lunch overlooking the pool and beach to realise that you have really arrived and it will be 3pm, time for check in.

If that can save you some money and start your holiday earlier, I think it is a not brainer (from my point of view)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you do?

we're taking the earliest flight out for the very reason that we want to get to the resort as early as possible and start enjoying the facilities even if we have to wait for our room... we're also hoping that being there early or first means we will have better chances of not getting Bldg 9!

Edited: 30 April 2014, 15:55
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you do?

To take the earlier flight its $340 more not less. Just wanted to see if its worth paying that much more or take my chances & hope that flight comes down again.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What would you do?

Dawn, I'm confused. Your post shows the earlier flight as being $340 less

VA
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would you do?

Unless you know your friends all want to do EC, I would stick with a regular room. We've gone EC before, but when we went with friends on another occasion we did not want them to feel like they needed to upgrade and spend more. Some of the perks are the more private pools, beach, and club lounge. Unless the whole group is upgrading, it's kind of a waste assuming you'll all be hanging out together. So unless you know it's well within their budget, I wouldn't do it. And as travelinman points out, if you're pool bar people, you probably won't use the EC spots much anyway.

Bath
Level Contributor
360 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What would you do?

Sorry from your earlier post I thought the earlier flight was for less. Then... depends on how much a splash of an extra €340 dollars represents for you in terms of your budget.

More or less you are saying that it is an extra $340 for an 2h30 at the resort when you arrive, however if I read right you would lose some time on your last day at the resort. Personally €340 is a lot of money to me, so I think I would take the latest flight and enjoy my last breakfast and morning at the resort on my last day.

(sorry if I confused you)

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres