We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Topic
Passports

Do you need a passport for Mexico? Looking for a family resort(we live in Rochester, NY). Son(33) doesn't have a passport.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports

Mexico is a foreign country.... passport needed.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports

Not sure when you are looking to go but normal turn around on passports these days is about 2 weeks. You can also get expedited service that will get it to you sooner. We got one for our 12 year old last summer and we had it in about 10 days.

hope that helps!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports

Used to be that you didn't need one for Mexico and Canada but that changed about 10 years ago I believe.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports

Read the info here

travel.state.gov/content/travel/english.html

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports

Thanks everyone.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passports

If you can get to St. Albans, VT the passport agency there can do expedited passports (in about 5 days) without requiring proof of travel within 2 weeks.

northern new jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passports

Don't know how far you are from Manhattan, but the Hudson Street agency will process an application on site (for pickup in 3 business days). It's badly worded, you're not required to be a NY resident. Good luck!

uspassporthelpguide.com/new-york-passport-ag…

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Passports

Thanks, we live 8 hours from NY. Maybe there is a place up here that does that.

northern new jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passports

Yeah I saw Rochester after I posted. If you click on the link, on the right side of the page will be every state in which a passport agency (and presumably their abilities with regard to turnaround time) is available. I don't know your time sensitivity but you could always just do it the hard way and go to the google, print out the form and physically take it to a post office (but only one that's an authorized passport agency). With no hitches it takes about 3 weeks to come back.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Passports

Yes some of the major post offices do process passport applications, did it this way last time I had to renew. Go to the PO (or look them up on the website), and find out the hours as they do not process passports all day every day. I picked up my application, went to AAA for my passport pictures, then went to the post office on the one day of the week they processed passports. Had it in pretty short order but that was awhile ago.

Few years ago my hubby had to do expedited which costs a bit more money.