We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EM sea grass question

portland, Or
Level Contributor
191 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
EM sea grass question

Hello all! I am new to the cancun forum and think I will rephrase my question in another post hoping to get some replies.

I am not familiar with sea grass and am very concerned in what looks like black water at times in the beach at elm which I assume is seagrass. Just wondering how much of an issue this may be in late nov/early dec? I really love to swim in the ocean and the beach can really look unsuitable in some photos.

Thanks for any help!

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Scuba & Snorkeling
portland, Or
Level Contributor
191 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EM sea grass question

Oops. That's supposed to say EPM.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EM sea grass question

It all depends on the weather conditions at any time. Windy/rough sea then you will have a larger volume of sea grass. The resort clears it every day. sometimes constantly through the day. It has never been such a problem that has spoilt our enjoyment while using the ocean. It is more like a grass (hence the wording) than the smiley type of seaweed that we have on our UK beaches.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: EM sea grass question

newlywed0816, we experienced dreadful conditions during our stay last winter. These are not my own photos but they resemble what we dealt with.

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/34/6f/07/s…

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/34/6f/08/l…

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-w/05/09/e1/2f/b…

For this reason, and the fact that we were not impressed with most of the food on offer, we would not return. YMMV.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,762 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EM sea grass question

Hi

We have been seven times so far and in the 90 days we have stayed at EPM & TBH next door we have certainly experienced far more good days than bad days in regards to the seagrass and ocean / beach conditions

Perhaps we were just lucky as we traveled in May / June / July / September

Feel free to check out my photo albums

http://flipflopman.slickpic.com/gallery/ and also those on www.oyster.com

Going back again for another 16 nights split between the two properties this June

We have also experienced much worse seagrass at some other properties on our travels

Edited: 14 May 2014, 12:31
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: EM sea grass question

"We have also experienced much worse seagrass at some other properties on our travels"

Good to know, flip. Which resorts were those, as I will want to avoid them as well. And do you have albums?

St. Thomas Ontario
Level Contributor
359 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EM sea grass question

With the sea and weather conditions changing all the time there may be no consistency as to when there is or isn't sea grass. We were very fortunate in February as this is what the beach looked like for 13 of the 14 days we were there

…photobucket.com/albums/ee439/sncpaul/Excell…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: EM sea grass question

I would want to avoid EPM when the beach is bad like that. What months were those pics taken and when did you visit?

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EM sea grass question

We were at EPM January of 2013, and the beach and ocean looked like the pictures Champagne posted for all but one day of our trip. Nobody was in the water the whole time. In 5 trips to Mexico, visiting 6 different resorts, EPM is the only one I've encountered seagrass like that.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,762 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EM sea grass question

Champagne

We have been to SSS where there was as much, if not more seagrass, than at EPM and when we were there than whole stretch of coastline was effected. We have also had lot of seagrass at some resorts in Punta Cana / Cap Cana

On our trips to La Perla, SMB & El Dorado Maroma last year the beach / ocean was not in the best of conditions due to the weather but we could not blame the resorts for that as it is mother nature. We have also had seagrass at ERC and along that stretch of coastline from time to time but the condition of the beach or ocean has never stopped us enjoying ourselves

I have albums for all of them on SlickPic

In some parts of the Caribbean the problem with weed in increasing year by year

ipsnews.net/2012/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: EM sea grass question

"We have been to SSS where there was as much, if not more seagrass, than at EPM"

Ok, cool, since SSS doesn't appeal to us anyway due to its reputation as a party resort.