We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

I've read bits and pieces about changes in the number of bottles provided and changes with the "swap out for a specific type/brand" policies regarding those bottles of alcohol in Excellence Club-level rooms and I was hoping someone who knows the resort super well or who has just stayed in an EC room (or both!) could help clarify, please... Specifically, I'm curious about how many bottles currently come in an Excellence Club-level room to start, as well as what the policy is for exchanging or pre-requesting specific types/brands. Also, I'm curious if they will replace bottles finished during lengthy stays and if you'll get the same brand that's been finished or if you'll have the option to select something else. Thanks, in advance, for any input!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
512 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

I am also interested in this answer as the policy seems to have changed since our visit last May. We are going in August and usually send an email requesting the bottles we wish to have in our room. We have always found what we requested. If things have changed, we would like to know how to approach it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

We were there last week, in an EC room, so the information is current as of then!

In the EC room you receive a bottle of tequila (we had 1800), a bottle of vodka (we had Svedka), a bottle of rum (don't recall the brand) and a bottle of gin (Tanqueray). There is also a bottle of red wine on the shelf, and a half bottle of white in the fridge.

At other resorts (notably ERC the previous week) we were allowed to switch out the bottles for ones we wanted (we had a bottle of Bombay, a bottle of Baileys, a bottle of Southern Comfort, and a bottle of tequila, forget the brand, very tall blue bottle) - it was aboslutely not a problem there. This used to be the policy at EPM until very recently (within the last few months).

Now, if you want to change out the bottles, they have a 'penalty' type arrangement (it is all on a sheet of paper the building concierge or club concierges have).

To get a different bottle of gin (Bombay Sapphire), I would have to give up not only the Tanqueray, but also another bottle (I forget whether it specified the vodka or tequila). Same idea to get a different bottle of vodka (and note, I am talking about a swop to Smirnoff here, not Grey Goose!) To obtain a bottle of Baileys, you have to give up every other liquor bottle - a 4-for-1 swop. This list went on, but everything required at least 2 bottles to be swopped for it, some 3, some all 4.

Recalling that Baileys is available in every single bar in the resort, this seems utterly ridiculous to me - we are not talking about a high end product here!

On the refilling - we were in the room one day when the mini bar guy came, and he noticed we were low on tequila, and he offered a fresh bottle. As we were leaving soon we declined, but I took from this that it would not be a problem to get restocked on standard items. I would imagine a request to swop to non-standard would require the absurd swop 2/3/4 policy.

To add, I did speak to management about what I consider a simply silly policy, that cheapens the brand and puts people's backs up!

Edited: 30 May 2014, 21:10
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

Thanks for that detailed update, emmaedwards69! Wow, that seems like quite the complicated (and over-the-top) swapping policy. I remember it being much more laid back... Might you know the options if you didn't drink a particular type of liquor (for example, my husband and I both don't like gin, so we'd never touch that bottle) - could you do a single bottle for a single bottle if it wasn't an upgrade (like your original gin for your Bombay Sapphire)? Just curious if we could get a whiskey instead of a gin... Thanks again!

Has this been the experience of other recent visitors in an EC room at EPM?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

I believe to get whiskey you have to give up 2 others, sorry, bad at whiskey brands, so can't give specifics

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

I do recall to get southern comfort (which they class as a whiskey) or amaretto you had to give up 2 or 3 (I don't drink rum, so would happily have swopped if it was a straight switch).

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

Bummer. And these are not high end brands or anything, like you had said! Thanks again for all the info...

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
189 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

Ooh... Hubby's not liking this one... Persuaded him to go cause of the good branded whiskey!! As long as he doesn't nick my bottle of gin, I suppose he can give everything else away to get his bottle!! ;)

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

Becci,

Tell hubby to scout out the duty free store at the Cancun airport before finding your hotel transport. You can pick up a bottle or two of whatever you want for tuppence!

Edited: 31 May 2014, 00:04
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

Emma ..... That is so bizarre ...... When we were at ERC in April I went to the EC lounge and asked for Grey Goose and the fellow told me I'd have to give up 2 or 3 bottles for that. I said OK, whatever, that's OK. So later that day nothing had been changed out. I went back to the EC lounge on the way to dinner, got a different person, explained what had happened and they said oh no, there's a list and Grey Goose is not on the list. I said just forget it, not that big a deal. The next day, the first guy I spoke to asked so did you get the Grey Goose. I told him the story and he said, oh I didn't know that. It is not that big a deal for me but it's a real screwed up system and I agree with you completely it just seems really cheap. Like what are people going to do, ask for four bottles of Don Julio and pack them away in their suitcases and take them home? I doubt it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clarification on bottles in EC rooms at EPM

That is a bummer when you have been used to having the bottle(s) of your choice. But simple solution. Take your Bubba keg to a bar, get it filled with the libation of your choice, and proceed to enjoy your drinks in your room. Wouldn't that work?