We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of planning my honeymoon, and hoping some of you more seasoned Playa Mujeres/Isla Mujeres visitors can give some advice. I was planning on staying about 10 nights in Mexico.

I have currently booked 7 nights non EC RTT at EPM and was planning on paying a visit to Isla while I was there. I have never done all inclusive before and am I little concerned I might get bored in the one resort for 7 nights as I do like to eat out and explore.

I am now considering changing the above to 5 nights and staying 5 nights at Privelige Aluxes Isla Mujeres in a Grand Platinum Suite (which is about $110 per night less) - as Isla Mujeres sounds quite appealing with the plentiful restaurants, bars etc.

Any advice would be great!

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

We have been to both EPM and Isla, although not PA. ( we have seen a Platinum Suite and it is over the top gorgeous).

PA is not a resort like EPM, but you can often get an AI add on for ridiculously cheap ( as low as $15 pp per day). If you only have breakfast and a few drinks by the pool you will have broken even. Many many fantastic and cheap restaurants within walking distance and Playas Sol and Norte cannot be beat.

Isla in itself is laid back, but there are always places to find live music and lively conversation.

We are headed back to Isla for 2 weeks in September. Have decided to forgo EPM and AI this year.

Whichever you choose will be great. We do love EPM but have started to get bored with AI type holidays. Not to say we won't do it again, but we are in a different mind set ATM

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

Thanks so much for the response.

Yes I think we would take the AI at PA purely because its a small price difference and we like a few drinks so it would pay for itself.

so do you think maybe 5 nights in each would be a good balance for honeymoon? Vs 7 nights at EPM and 3 in PA.

Thanks again for the info :)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

We just did a split in Punta Cana with an AI and a non-AI and that worked so well for us. Like Kerly, we have been to many AI's and sometimes require change. EPM is a wonderful honeymoon destination so I would book it for the final days of your vacation. It will be just what you need after kicking it up at Isla.

On Isla you can be as busy as you like or R & R. We had a blast bar hopping and meeting the locals. I would also buy the AI for convenience (breakfast and drinks) and you can't beat it at that price. If it was my honeymoon, I would do EPM 6 or 7 and Isla 3 or 4.

Pack light and use luggage that is easy to maneuver. You will have to wrestle with the suitcases on the ferry to Isla and less is better.

Your choice of the split honeymoon sounds perfect to me. Have great honeymoon and make many memories!!

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

There is only one resort that would be AI on Isla worth staying at for a honeymoon. That resort is Villas Rolandi

The resort is IMO better than EPM if you want something small and very personal. Be advised that it has been sold to Zoetry which is the same brand as Secrets but a step above. They will open in November of 2014 after a four month closure to remodel. They are currently running a intro price.

http://www.zoetryresorts.com/mujeres

If your like us we only stay at a resort for 4-5 days, after that we also are ready for a change.

This resort is only 35 rooms and its beautiful. It also will allow you to experience Isla Mujeres for a few days. The front desk will rent you a golf cart which you can use to explore the Island. It's a blast

To transfer you will need to taxi to Playa Linda dock in the Canon hotel zone, about 15 months from EPM. From there Zoetry has a private 45ft catamaran boat that will pick you up and bring you to the hotel. They also drop you there and will have a van take you to the airport.

Many fun things to do on Isla.

Check out our photos of this resort below, I think you will be impressed.

Here are the pics from this resort

surfnorthwest.com/Villas%20Rolandi%202013/ar…

Edited: 17 June 2014, 16:12
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

Great information, surfnorthwest. Looks beautiful but the food is so good on Isla, I would have to think about it. How far will Zoetry be from town?

Edited: 17 June 2014, 16:21
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

Isla is tiny, so "far" is relative it is on the other end of the island than "town." Cheap cab ride or golf cart will get you anywhere on the island.

Id love a split trip between an AI and Priv on Isla. Sounds just about perfect to me.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

It is about 10-15 minutes by golf cart. Grab a few cold beers from the resort and head into town.

The other hotel Aluxes you mentioned sucks IMO, we tried it and checked out after four hours, it is nowhere on par with Villas Rolandi.

You have some great beach clubs very close to the resort and snorkeling is fantastic. Every Zoetry has a master chef on staff so food will be the best. Also any premium liquor will be standard at Zoetry.

Dolphin Discovery is next door to the resort and a must do. The nine pages of pics show a lot of things we did, PM me if you have questions

Edited: 17 June 2014, 16:31
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

Thanks everyone for the replies thats really yseful info!

Surfnorthwest I did see Zoetry and it looks fabulous, but from what I have read the restaurants and bars on Isla are a main feature, so i wasnt too fussed about AI there, and a platinum suite at PA was about $150 per night less so I thought a fabulous room might be better? But would be happy to hear if you that wouldnt be honeymoon

suitable?

Thank god for these forums :)

Texas
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

We've never been to EPM but have been to several nice adults only AI's in Mexico. We just booked our 1st trip to Privilege Aluxes/Isla Mujeres & couldn't be more excited. We're looking forward to exploring the island & stopping wherever we want along the way while having a home base w/drinks to check in at. If we would have known more about the area when we booked our Honeymoon there's no doubt we would have done a split w/PA....especially if we were looking to book a platinum suite.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Isla Mujeres

There are lots of options on IM for food etc. it is a thriving place. A word if caution tho, I wouldn't drink and drive the golf cart - they are proper roads with cars and trucks, you are vulnerable enough as it is in a golf cart without making your reactions and judgement worse. There are tons in very inexpensive cabs you can take all over the island.

We like EPM and enjoy the different evening food options (Tapas, Indian, Mexican, French, Italian, etc.) so wouldn't get bored of the food in 7 days, simply because there are lots of options. That said I do enjoy staying non AI when I travel, so can certainly understand the split trip. Depending on flight times I would probably do EPM second so you have less travel time to the airport.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres