We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
42 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

We have stayed many times in the hotel zone in Cancun but wanted to try something different this time. We originally thought we wanted to stay on Isla Mujeres however after a little research found the resorts aren't as nice and no adults only. We are considering either EPM or SPM for the week after Christmas 12/27 - 1/3.

Now to my question: We like to venture out of the resort a couple days. I realize there's nothing directly in the Playa Mujeres area but how easy is it to travel into Cancun (downtown area) or get to the closest ferry to go to Isla? I'm sure you can jump in a cab to both but does anyone have an idea of time and cost to Cancun?

Thanks for any help - I appreciate it!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

It is a 15 minute ride by cab and you should confirm the taxi fare before getting into the cab, $15 or so. Make sure the cab takes you to the Ultramar Ferry. Confirm the cab fare on the way back to EPM also. It might be a few bucks more on the way back.

Cab fare into the Hotel Zone might be around $40, perhaps a bit more, and that is EACH way.

Level Contributor
526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

Since Isla and Playa forums are merged right now, I might as well infiltrate a Playa Mujeres convo and go to bat for Isla Mujeres. :) Randy, Isla doesn't have exclusive adults-only results, but many of the hotels are virtually adults-only. I stay at an upscale condo/hotel (it feels like a hotel, except we have a high-end 2BR/2BA pad) and while there are kids sometimes, they're a non-factor. They don't run wild, they're not underfoot, they're barely even noticeable. Isla is kid-friendly, but it's not a kid magnet. It's social, laid-back and absolutely magical. The beach is the best in the Mexican Caribbean, by far. Rivals some of the best I've been to in the Caribbean. You'll find more quality there than you might expect, too. Have you been there on a day trip? Most Islaholics visit on a day trip and return for a longer stay. Hope you check it out.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
42 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

Thanks IndyMegan -

I like what you have to say. Can you give me any suggestions of where to stay from your experience? Keep in mind we are going at a very high demand time. We have not booked yet but want to soon because of the demand.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

I would suggest a Platinum Suite at Privilidges Aluxe. Wait until you get there to buy AI as it can often be had for a little as $20 pp per day. So many fabulous restaurants within walking distance.

Ixchel beach hotel is fantastic. Book through VRBO and dins a two bed three bath penthouse with fully furnished roof top terrCe. One we rented had great lounge furniture, an outdoor home theatre system, wet bar BBQ and hot tub.

Villa la Bella is a beautiful B and B that is adult only.

Zoetry ( part of the AM brand will be opening in the villa rolandi property in November. AO and AI.

ALSO Many lovely rentals through VRBO. I would suggest staying in centro/ north end for a first visit

Isla Is magical. Laid back and chill, I cNt even think of vacationing anywhere else these days and I used to be a hardcore mainlander.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,866 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

Isla Mujeres does have an all-inclusive, adults only resort, which is the Palace Resort. Villa Rolandi will close in August (18th) for remodeling into a Zoetry resort. It’ll take a couple of months but will be open by the time the OP is planning to go. It won’t be strictly adults only; guests 13 and older will be welcome, as they were when it was Villa Rolandi. Privilege Aluxes is definitely adult-oriented but not strictly adults only. Ixchel was overrun with children when we stayed there (week after Christmas) so as nice as it is, I would not recommend it for anyone seeking an adult only environment.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 21:31
oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

I meant to mention palace but I forgot:)

Level Contributor
526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

I was referring to Ixchel, but I've never been tehre during high season, so there could be more kids. The pools at Ixchel are really small, so if you like a nice pool, I"d go to Privelege Alexus. As others have said, it's not adults only but it probably will feel like it is. It's on the best beach, has great pools and beach, and it gets gerat reviews. Rolandi/Zoetry is lovely and high end but the beach there isn't very good. For a first visit, I think you should stay in Centro/North Beach, which means Privilege.

Isla Mujeres Palace is the other high-end place - condos, I think, but in a hotel-like setup. But it's also not in Centro/North Beach. And I'd think a condo propertyh would attract more kids. I think you want Privilege Alexus. They offer all-inclusive, but it's not a typical AI resort. There aren't many activities. And there are so many great restaurants within blocks of the hotel, you probably wouldn't want to do AI. Some people find such a great deal on the AI, they get it just because they can't pass it up, use it for the breakfast buffet and beach drinks, and still go out for dinner.

Glad you were open to opinions!

Level Contributor
526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

Gah - those typos in my last post! Tried to clean it up and timed out! Embarrassing!

Randy, I meant to add - do you know about the golf carts on Isla? That's how everyone gets around. It takes about an hour or so to circle the island. There are some truly breathtaking, isolated Caribbean views from other parts of the island. Plus more little bars and restaurants to stop at on an island ramble. It's a lot of fun.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 00:34
Level Contributor
526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

Oh, sorry, TravelerNY said the Palace is adults-only. I dind't know that. So I guess no kids. I'm not sure if it's a resort or a resort-style condo complex.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ventures out of the Resort at Playa Mujeres?

IM Palace is a very small AI, either AO or Couples only, we drove past on our golf cart shortly before they opened. Would not be my choice to stay, bit isolated and beach is not the best and only one restaurant.