We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Been reading all the talk about the new Secrets. I'm concerned about the beach. Iberostar Grand Parisio has big rocks, SSS has rocks, SC has erosion and SMB has a wonderful beach.

Most of the reviews and pictures I've seen show a lot of seaweed and murkiness of the water in the Playa Mujeres area.

Beach is important to me. We want to stay at the new Secrets Playa but I'm leary about the water conditions. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Have you looked at Royal Hideaway ? The beach is great over there. The only drawback is not much night life. PDC is a short ( 5 minute ) cab ride, I have seen pictures of the beach at SPM and it really doesn't look bad for not being touched yet.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

There are many places to enter IGP and not encounter rocks and the water is a gorgeous sky blue. The water in Playa Mujeres is a greenish color and clear if there is no seaweed. The seaweed resembles pine needles. It isn't the long, slimy seaweed most people associate with the word. I expect SPM will have the same beach conditions as EPM considering they are very close. Beach maintenance will depend in the resort. Nothing anyone can do about the water color or the seaweed.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 04:32
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Hi

We have just got back from the area and took and walk up to SPM when we were there and will be posting some photos later today with my opinions on the beach, etc

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

The beach at Iberostar Grand Paraiso is very nice. Maroma is not that much better IMO. The loungers and ambiance on the beach is way better at Ibersostar Grand. We spent a lot more time on the beach at Iberostar Grand than Secrets Maroma. You don't need to walk far at all to get away from the rocks. They are not bad at all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Are palapas at SMB still required to be shared by 2 couples?

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Beach service brilliant at Iberostar Grand also. It's a shame that Iberostar Grand require dinner reservations. A huge tick in the box for Secrets and Excellence here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Champagne_TO - I didn't see a problem with palapas. It wasn't bad at all. They have a lot of palapas but having 2 each side (i.e 4 to a palapa) is weird for an adults only resort of the wuality of Secrets Maroma. If they had it like Iberostar Grand then it would make it way better. Although the Secret Maroma loungers are those plastic ones they have a very comfortable mattress. Iberostar Grand is significantly more elegant in tis department. Iberostar Grand also give you a bucket of beers on the beach...fantastic!!!!!! Iberostar Grand has the best beer selection out of any All Inclusive Resort I've ever been to by a long way. The beer selection at Secrets and Excellence is still very good though. In saying these nice things about Iberostar grand (there are many more nice things to say about the place)....my favourite resort is still probably Excellence Playa Mujeres for the restaurants and the ambiance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Apologies for not checking my grammar before sending my responses....I've had a couple of drinks thinking about my holiday this month and as I do in my emails (other than work emails), I don't check them and just send them......a bad habit.

KANSAS
Level Contributor
998 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Flip Flop Man has posted the photos he promised. They will groom the beach before opening. Even without being groomed I am sold. …slickpic.com/albums/…

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach at Secrets Playa Mujeres

Thanks for your comments. You are right. There is nothing anyone can do about the water color or sea grass/seaweed.