We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

Manchester
5 posts
Save Topic
EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

Hi FFMs,

Looking for a bit of advice...we are almost ready to book the EPM for our honeymoon in January and are torn between the RTT or the EC oceanview. We're going for 2 weeks. We've looked at the resort map and that hasn't helped much as the RTT buildings 7 and 8 seem to have ocean views anyway. Does anyone know if this is the case?

An ocean view is important, but the RTT looks extra special. But is it worth going Excellence Club? Any advice as to which is best? Some of the posts on here about privacy issues in the RTTs are putting me off a little...!

Thanks!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

I would say most RTT have good ocean views, even the RTTs near the spa(buildings 1-6) you can see the ocean to some extent. We personally enjoy the RTTs because of the ability to relax in your own personal space. I would not worry too much about privacy, most RTTs can be seen by some sort of angle but it's not bad because it is usually from a good distance away. Also, when we have been there the RTT's have not been fully occupied so there were not people in any of the rooms that could remotely see onto our RTT. The atmosphere is so laid back that no one really cares or notices what others are doing on there RTT.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

Hi Amy,

We had an EC RTT in bldg 8a. I would pay for EC again but not the RTT (EC or non EC).

Reasons:

Plunge pool is ice cold in the winter months. You can ask them to send someone to turn on a heater, once a day, for 2 hours. You have to request this in advance- there goes spontaneity. Note that the heater only takes the chill off the water.

Our plunge pool was not particularly clean. There was grit on the bottom and the sides were slimy.

The vast majority of the terraces have zero shade.

There are day beds and two chairs, but no table, so it's not conducive to having a romantic meal up there (whereas you could do that on the balcony of any Jr Suite).

BTW, since it's a big deal for you: there are very few, if any, RTTs that are truly private - and even if you were to put in a request for a specific room number, that's a very long shot.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,780 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

Hi

A couple of things you may want to take into account

Is that although all the RTT plunge pools can be heated up for you on a preset timer so there is no need to disturb you and as far as I know it can be for more than two hours a day. If the pool is not clean enough for you just ask and they will clean it. The only swimming pools that are heated are the two EC pools and the main pool on the swim up bar side. Going EC will give you access to 2 large heated pools if the appeals, the EC beach section and some extra pampering

The other thing to consider is that the EC Honeymoon Package has quite a few more extras thrown in

excellence-resorts.com/weddings-romance/hone…

Very much depends on what you want from your trip

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions

Edited: 09 July 2014, 23:23
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

"Is that although all the RTT plunge pools can be heated up for you on a preset timer so there is no need to disturb you and as far as I know it can be for more than two hours a day."

What I posted is what we were told by the staff in the EC lounge (had to use the concierge staff there since we never saw a concierge on our floor- there is an office but it was unoccupied the entire week).

"If the pool is not clean enough for you"

I wasn't aware that grit and slime was considered clean enough for anybody.

"just ask and they will clean it."

It should have been clean when we checked in. At $600/night (flights extra), was that an unrealistic expectation?

Enjoy your trip, and feel free to send me a PM as well for extra info.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 23:32
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,780 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

I agree that the pool should be clean when a new guest takes over

The do check and clean all the plunge pools on a regular basis and we have had ours cleaned several times during our stays there and have seen them cleaning others

My point is if something is not right, mention it and get it fixed

The will not heat the pools continuously but they will heat them enough to make them comfortable to use if you tell them what time of the day you will normally be using it

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

We have stayed in both EC jr suite and EC RTT - we hardly used the RTT pool there is very little shade up on the RTT level .We used our balcony with our table and daybed much more .

The EC jr suite are very nice

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

We've been to Excellence 5 times and always stay in EC. Two of the times, one each at EPM and ERC, we booked EC RTT. We liked it for the option of being able to relax on the roof. We've never found them dirty, and last time, in April at ERC, they put on from 2PM to 6Pm daily for us. It was not a problem, all you had to do was call the EC concierge.

As pinac said though the junior suites are very nice as well.

New York
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

Like others have said, I have heard the plunge pool in January is VERY cold. I wouldn't spend the $$ on it during the winter months. Every room is basically the same, so I would spend the money on EC level instead of the RTT.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

That is a good point about the temp of the RTT pools in the winter.

Does anyone know the current or possible new plan for heating the RTT pools this upcoming winter?

From what I have read it is unclear if they are on a timer? or someone has to physically come in your room to turn on the heater. It's very unclear to me how the heating of the RTT pool works (never been there in the winter)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,780 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EPM RTT or EC oceanview suite?

Hi

When we were a ERC one April when they weather was still very cool and had a RTT and the plunge pool was heated. It was on a timer, the same as some of the other jets are and the water was comfortable to use in the afternoons when we wanted to use it

When EPM and TBH first opened the plunge pools did not have heaters and from memory they were only added about three years ago. The heater is only to make them comfortable to use and not turn them into hot tubs. They will also not heat is for you to use all day round