We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

I know they will differ vastly, but the FPM is only a few hundred pounds more for two weeks next October, in a swim up suite!! I was about to book the Royal Hicacos in Varadeo, Cuba, as it is No 1 on TA and has been taken over by Royalton and getting a makeover.

The beach at the RH is supposed to be fantastic, this is a big influence for me, but can someone tell me how good the beach/water is opposite the new FPM??

Me and the wife enjoy an afternoon 'bob' on our noodles in the ocean so it has to be calm, clear, blue and gently shelving!! LOL

Thanks, Jerry.....

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

The beach at Excellence Playa Mujeres is a topic often discussed on this forum. EPM and The Finest are next door to each other and will have virtually identical beach conditions. What you see represented at EPM through forum posts, reviews, Oyster photos, real traveler photos on this site, video clips on YouTube, etc. will give you an idea.

You will have to take your own water floats as the resorts don't allow you to take theirs into the ocean. Unless The Finest provides them, of course. We won't know that until they open. I will be one of their very first guests next year, as I arrive there in mid April

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

Just looking at the pics of that beach in Cuba, there is no way the PM beach is going to come close. PM is a "good" beach when the conditions are good (which is most of the time) but the Varadero beach looks to be a nice as you're going to get anywhere.

Dorset
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

I believe that RH used to be Sandals. We have stayed at the Iberostar which is next door. The beach is superb - better than Playa Mujeres. As for the hotel, It would be hard pressed to be better than EPM, and the food in Cuba is not as good as in Mexico thanks in large part to the embargo.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,012 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

We stayed at RH twice when in was operated by Sandals and apart from the beach it does not compare to an Excellence / AMResorts type of property

If you have not been to Cuba before you may want to open up the debate to how Cuba compares to Mexico

Edited: 23 July 2014, 14:27
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

How long has it been since it was operated by Sandals?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

Royalton took over several months ago and are currently renovating it

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

Thanks for your input everyone, I realise the FPM should be a much better hotel with equally great staff, It's just that I would be quite disappointed if the sea and beach were a bit 'naff' in Mexico, because I know the Varadero beach is fantastic....hmmmmmmmm.......,.what to do!!!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,012 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

I have read on another forum that the renovation is causing them a few problems with guests as they have drained some of the waterways which are a big feature of the property

Even when it was a Sandals Resort they did not mention it on all their websites for obvious reasons

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

So Flip, it is safe to say you would pick FPM over RH and still enjoy the beach at FPM??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Comparing Finest Playa Mujeres & Royal Hicacos in Cuba!!

Jerry, this is what we experienced at EPM last year. Not my videos but same conditions. YMMV.

http://youtu.be/vdvx5Y7puGs

http://youtu.be/fpI-IW2X7oU