We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wireless at EPM

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Wireless at EPM

Hi there! We are going to EPM this week (I CAN'T WAIT!!!), and was wondering about the wireless connection at the resort. I have a sick father at home and want to be able to get updates. Is it pretty reliable and consistent?

Thanks!!

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wireless at EPM

The wireless is very good in rooms and even on the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wireless at EPM

As of last September, it was strong in most places (room, pool, lobby etc) but I'm not sure of the beach. A few things. The best wishes with family, update all your apps etc before you go if you're going to use Skype and need to put credit on it, do so at your home, secure wi-fi. You should be fine at EPM but an unsecured is something you don't want to share personal info on (just a note.)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wireless at EPM

Perfect- and great advice- thanks!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wireless at EPM

Wifi was adequate for browsing (posting on trip advisor!) around the pools, lobby, and rooms. I found it not adequate even for light internet browsing in most restaurants. For Face time or Skype I would stick to the room. We tried down by the pool a couple of times but the connection wasn't as good. Have a great time!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wireless at EPM

We had great connections the whole time in room (building 8), near main building (w/restaurants) AND on the EC beach! In fact, we facetimed very day with the kids while lounging on the EC beach! Used VIBER app for free international phone calls and texting. :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wireless at EPM

Our experience was a bit different. We were in Building 1 and had inconsistent connections. The signal was usually strong wherever we went on the resort, but particularly during the peak hours of the day, it was rather slow at times. We didn't stream music or use Skype. It was adequate for email, basic browsing, etc. Last year in 7b we were able to stream SiriusXM every day. It sounds like the service may be better on that side of the property.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wireless at EPM

I think it varies day by day, like terpsumd1995 we were in Block 1 last year and we had good wifi for probably 11 out of the 14 days and could FaceTime without problem. It does seem to go downhill if the weather is bad.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wireless at EPM

I think it's dependant on the time of day - whose up at that time and, the weather too plays a part because ,if it's raining or too hot people may just take to the interwebthingy as an escape.

Central Wisconsin
Level Contributor
726 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wireless at EPM

We bring a small repeater wifi extender and it makes it much more reliable if you need reliability. They are about 75 bucks and the size of a small net book. We keep it on our patio the whole trip, cover it with a plastic bag when it rains. Unless the wifi is out, we always have reliable signal with it, everywhere.

New York
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wireless at EPM

I have had no problems with it. I have been able to FaceTime with home every day. It is better near the pools. Wifi is a bit spotty by the beach