We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPM and TBH questions

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
EPM and TBH questions

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the forums religiously trying to decide which hotel would suit my bf and I for our December vacation. We have it narrowed down to the Excellence and the Beloved. As such, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could answer the following questions:

1) At the Excellence, would you recommend a swim-up or Oceanview room with the Excellence club? The only reason I am leaning towards a swim-up room is that I like the idea of never having to wake up early to get a chair. However, if chairs are easily accessible, then it may not be necessary!

2) How quiet is the Beloved? We love peace and quiet during the day but we do not want it to be a complete ghost town at night. We do not need shows or discos, just a place to congregate at night where there are other people around.

I know that the Beloved is not adults only and has less restaurants. However, my main concern with the hotel is that it will be too quiet. We have stayed at the Zoetry in Punta Cana and found it to be a little bit too deserted for our tastes. At the same time, we do not want to go to the Excellence if it will be too crowded and rowdy!

The Beloved is significantly cheaper than the Excellence.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks everyone.

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EPM and TBH questions

Hi

1) At the Excellence, would you recommend a swim-up or Oceanview room with the Excellence club? The only reason I am leaning towards a swim-up room is that I like the idea of never having to wake up early to get a chair. However, if chairs are easily accessible, then it may not be necessary!

You do not get very much of an ocean view from any of the swim ups with them being ground floor

The swim ups to come with some downsides - possible lack of privacy, to ladder to get in and out close to your room. Grass area between your patio and the pool. Dependent on when you are looking to go in December finding a lounger may not be an issue anyway. we have been several times in the summer months when occupancy has been 95+ and nevr had an issue getting a lounger

2) How quiet is the Beloved? We love peace and quiet during the day but we do not want it to be a complete ghost town at night. We do not need shows or discos, just a place to congregate at night where there are other people around.

I know that the Beloved is not adults only and has less restaurants. However, my main concern with the hotel is that it will be too quiet. We have stayed at the Zoetry in Punta Cana and found it to be a little bit too deserted for our tastes. At the same time, we do not want to go to the Excellence if it will be too crowded and rowdy!

TBH is a lot quieter than EPM but it is not completely dead at night and certainly has a lot more going on than Zoetry Agua. dependent on when you are going in December there may be quite a few children around if it is within the school holidays so you need to take that into account

How many nights are you looking to go for?

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EPM and TBH questions

Thanks so much - you are an amazing resource!

We are thinking of going for a week in mid-December so I am not sure if it is worth splitting between the two.

It is helpful to hear that you found Zoetry to be much quieter than the Beloved. Do you recall what kind of night time activities they have? Is there a bar or lounge where people congregate?

With respect to the rooms at Excellence. Can you recommend a specific block of swim -ups that would suit our needs? We would definitely like a private area but not so private that we are far away from the bars and will not get service. Also, which buildings are closer to the Excellence Club beach.

Would you choose the Beloved over the Excellence if it was cheaper? I just really love the look of the Beloved!

Inverness
Level Contributor
197 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EPM and TBH questions

We will be back to TBH for the third time in October. We have been to all 3 hotels you have mentioned. EPM was a bit rowdy for us but we did go for a meal when we stay at TBH you get one pass for every 7 nights you stay. We just love TBH as there is the Lupita Lounge which is an outdoor area where they have various musicians and singers every night plus a DJ. TBH is definitely a quieter holiday than EPM . We don't often return to the same hotel but after this holiday we will have stayed at TBH for 42 nights so that shows we love it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EPM and TBH questions

Hi again

"We are thinking of going for a week in mid-December so I am not sure if it is worth splitting between the two"

For a one week trip I would not split it as for us it would be too much hassle for a short stay. If you are staying a TBH for 7 nights you are entitled to a free evening pass to EPM for a meal, drink and to watch the entertainment

"It is helpful to hear that you found Zoetry to be much quieter than the Beloved. Do you recall what kind of night time activities they have? Is there a bar or lounge where people congregate?"

Shirley has answered this. Please note in addition to the outdoor Lupita Lounge they also have a lobby Bar which is open during the day and evening and is again a good place to meet fellow guests

"With respect to the rooms at Excellence. Can you recommend a specific block of swim -ups that would suit our needs? We would definitely like a private area but not so private that we are far away from the bars and will not get service. Also, which buildings are closer to the Excellence Club beach"

My suggestions would be #8b or #7b

"Would you choose the Beloved over the Excellence if it was cheaper? I just really love the look of the Beloved"

We love both properties and would be willing to pay the same price. In some ways TBH is better that EPM as we enjoy the relaxed atmosphere in the place and find the food and service to be even better than at EPM

very much depends on what you are looking for and we are lucky enough to be able to opt for places on what we are looking for rather then just price

Toronto
Level Contributor
232 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EPM and TBH questions

We are going back to TBH in Dec as a repeat visitor. Going with kids, we didn't really see anything past 9:30pm LOL. However we loved hanging out in the Lupita Lounge, enjoying delicious sushi and cocktails and listening to either live or relaxing music. As well, Heydan at the lobby bar is great at engaging his guests and making wonderful cocktails. Your nights at TBH certainly won't be dull nor will they be rowdy.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EPM and TBH questions

Totally agree with you about Hayden

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EPM and TBH questions

Thanks everyone for the amazing information.

We are leaning towards the Beloved as it appears to have just the right amount of entertainment we are looking for. Hopefully it will be the right choice!

Flipflop man - we are going to be booking a swim-up, do you have any advice re: room locations?

Thanks again!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EPM and TBH questions

Hi again

The two buildings which have the swim ups, #2 & #3, are very similar

However, #3 is closer to the beach but the pool is slightly small than #2

My reviews have links to large photo albums with several shots of the pools in question

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EPM and TBH questions

I just wanted to add my opinion of the swim up suites at TBH. Although a very nice setting, you will not have a view of the ocean and I do not believe these pools are heated in December. We only took one " dip" in the pool the whole two weeks we were there. We'd much rather be on the beach anyway, or if you prefer the pool, the main pool with the swim up bar does overlook the beach and I think that one is heated in winter months.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
654 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EPM and TBH questions

Been to both EPM & TBH. Would choose TBH over EPM and am actually returning for a 2nd visit this year in Oct. I found the food to be superior at TBH perhaps because they aren't serving the huge amount of people. Never waited for a table at any venue. Although there are fewer restaurants we always found something new we wanted to try & we were there almost 2 weeks. The children present while we were ther were all young toddlers or babies and very well behaved. They were not visible after about 9 pm. Our main requirement is being close to the beach with a great view. We booked a casita and it was perfect. Our rooftop plunge pool was super nice. If it is chilly, as it might be in Dec, you can have it heated. We enjoyed the live music at Lupita Lounge but got lucky that a few weddings were there while we were. The larger weddings tend to book bands which you can either watch from a pool lounge chair or your balcony. The music was good. We liked the smaller intimate feel of TBH. Don't think we will return to EPM. Last couple of times we went it seemed to be going down service wise and food, although not bad, wasn't up to standard. Happy travel planning!