We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mysore to Wayanad in August

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Mysore to Wayanad in August

Hello All,

I am planning to travel to Wayanad from Mysore with my wife during 15-18 August. I have a few questions regarding the whole trip. If someone can answer it will be really helpful.

1. Is it good to visit Wayanad in August.

2. Should I travel on my bike or should I take a bus from Mysore to Wayanad and then hire a cab.

3. Which are the attractions of Wayanad and how many days are required to visit all of them as I don't want to miss any.

Thanks In Advance.

4. Will any places be closed in the month of August.

5. I heard there is guided trekking tours available at Thirunelly. Any Info on that.

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
854 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

Hi

Welcome to TA and Wayanad.

1. August is Monsoon season in Wayanad. However, even now it is not raining during the day, though it is Monsoon.

2. Byke : More economical and you can be on your own, you can enjoy the scenic places more than any other mode. You need to know little bit of Malayalam or Tamil to ask routes to people, if you get stuck somewhere.

3. Soochipara Waterfalls, Meenmutty Waterfalls, Banasura Sagar Dam, Karapuzha Dam, Kuruva Islands, Pookot Lake, Edakkal Caves, Wayanad Heritage Museum, Muthanga Wild Life Sanctuary, Tholpetty Wild Life Sanctuary, Thirunelli, Chembra Peak, Lakkidi View Point.

4. As of now, Kuruva Islands and Meenmutty are closed. Edakkal Caves are closed on Mondays.

5. No need of guided tours for Thirunelly. You can be on your own.

For any other clarification, pl feel free to revert.

Regards

Sam

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

I had visited Wayanad during Aug 2011. It was drizzling but not too heavy rains but Meenmutty falls and Kuruva Island were closed.

For trekking Chembara Peak is the popular spot. I recommend you to take the bike than renting or taking public transport. 3 nights/4 days will be good enough to cover all places in a comfortable and enjoyable pace..

Read my Wayanad Travel blog for attractions I visited - …travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

Thank you guys for the useful info.

I have one more doubt regarding traveling on bike.

As once I was not allowed to enter Nagarhole because two wheelers are not allowed there.

Is there any kind of restriction fro two wheelers in Wayanad Wild Life Sanctuary or Tholpetty Wild Life Sanctuary.

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
854 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

Hi

Bike is not allowed inside the WLS. You will have to hire a jeep from the entrance for safari in the forest.

Have a great time in Wayanad.

Regards

Sam

5. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 July 2012, 11:06
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

Can I travel from Kalpetta to Thirunelli temple on bike?

Google map shows that Kattikulam-Tholpetty road passes through a forest so will I be allowed to travel on that road ?

I heard that a prior permission is required from forest officer for Pakshipathalam and Bramhagiri Trekking in Thirunelly. Can anybody provide any contact details for it?

Also is the trekking allowed in august for the above mentioned places ?

Kalpetta, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

Hi,

You can travel by bike from Kalpetta to Tirunelli. Though the road passes through forest, there is no restrictions regarding means of transport.

For Trekking in or around Thirunelli,you need to get prior permission. Here is the contact details :

Assistant Wild life Warden

Tholpetty,

Karatikulam. (post),

Mananthavadi (via), Wayanad District,

Kerala, Pin: 670 645

Phone : 04935 250853

Mobile : 09048098374

WISH YOU AN EVER MEMORABLE STAY IN WAYANAD

Jibu Thomas

In Wayanad Travel planners

Wayanad

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

Thanks a lot.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

Hi Guys,

Recently I read some news about a supreme court ban on all the tiger reserves of India.

thehindu.com/news/…article3685691.ece

Will there be any problem entering Thirunelli from Kalpetta.

And will they allow "Pakshipathalam Trekking" and enter "Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary".

Thanks in Advance

Kandarp jani

Kalpetta, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mysore to Wayanad in August

Hi,

Actually the news says that it is banned in Tamilnadu only. There is no such bans in Wayanad or Kerala as of now. You can contact the wildlife officials for further updates.

Thank You,

Jibu Thomas

In Wayanad Travel Planners

Wayanad

Get answers to your questions about Kalpetta