We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Hi All, I am planning to travel to Wayanad with my wife during 22nd - 25th December and would like to have some advice on the following:

Which route should I take (i'm planning to Drive down to Wayanad):

Bangalore - Channapatna - Srirangapatna - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Bandipur National Park - Sultan Bathery - Kalpetta

OR

Bangalore - Channapatna - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Nagarholee National Park - Kutta - Tholpetty - Panamaram - Kalpetta

Distance wise i believe there is not much difference between these two routes (as per google maps atleast).

However my question is more to do with enjoying the drive and scenic beauty and chance of finding wildlife on the way.

My Planned Start Date - 22nd December at 04:30 AM from Bangalore

Or is it advisable to switch between these 2 routes during my onward and return journey. This way i'll cover Bandipur and Nagarhole both.

2nd question - Is it advisable to stay in Kalpetta. i understand that most of the tourist spots are in and around Kalpetta

3rd question - Any good (decent) accomodation in wayanad for family in the range of 1.5K-2K (per night)? Suggestions will be highly appreciated

4th question - Can someone help me plan the itinerary for 22nd, 23rd and 24th DEC? I plan to start for Bangalore on 25th DEC.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Thanks and Regards,

Debraj

Kochi (Cochin...
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

you can choose either way of the above route OR bangalore- mysore- wayanad route.

we suggest you stay somewhere close to Manantavadi, which is close to Pakshi pathalam, Kuruva Islands, Pazhassi Tomb, thirunelli temple and Papa anashini Tholpetti wildlife sanctuary etc..

we will suggest a few decent accommodation near Mananthavadi close to your budget and complete itinerary.

estireholidays

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Q1 - I did the same in my last visit to Wayanad from B'lore. Thats the best idea to cover 2 national parks.

Q2 - Vythri is a good place to stay.

Read my Wayanad trael blog - …travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Thanks estireholidays...your help is highly appreciated

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Thanks Fleming ..... but i heard that the route from Sultan Bathery to Kalpetta is in pathetic condition. In some other blog fellow travellers have adviced to take the Nagarhole route...do you have any idea on the current situation of the Sultan Bathery - Kalpetta route

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Sorry my knowledge is based on the conditions 1 yr ago.

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
863 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Hi

Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta road is undergoing re tarring. As of now all the patches are being done. Hopefully, the work should be over by end of this month.

Regards

Sam

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Hey Sam, thanks a lot for this important update. However what would you in your expert opinion suggest. Should I take the Nagarhole route or Bandipur Route. For your information I'll be staying in Kalpetta.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Debraj,

Just a reminder that the wild santury road frm gundalupet to muthanga and the other road thru tholpetty will be closed frm 9:00 pm to 6:00 am.

You could check out some homestays aswell.

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
863 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Hi,

I think it will be good coming via Gundalpet and going back in Manathavady-Kutta route.

Regards

Sam

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
104 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Wayanad... Need advice

Hi Debraj,

Welcome to TA and Wayanad!

From Bangalore preferred route is "Bangalore - Channapatna - Srirangapatna - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Bandipur National Park - Muthanga-Sultan Bathery - Kalpetta". The roads are pretty good and this road is blocked from 9.00pm to 6.00pm. From Bangalore, it's take about 6-6.30 hours of drive depends upon. If you plan in the morning hours you can catch up in 5.30 hrs.

While coming back you can prefer the route thru nagarhole. But the roads are poor about 30-40km. Night journey is not advisable on this roads if you are not in an SUV.

Cheers!

Biju

Get answers to your questions about Kalpetta