We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chembra peak - Open till peak?

Which Kalpetta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chembra peak - Open till peak?

I'm hearing mixed responses. Few are saying that we are allowed to hike only up to the lake. Others are saying that if you reach early before 11am, then you can hike all the way to the peak.

I'm planning to be there on Aug 1st week. Can I hike all the way to the peak?

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

hi

it was only upto lake couple of months before.dont have idea whether they have opened upto top after monsoon.i havnt seen any news regarding the same.may be some others will give an update.

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
103 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

Hi,

Welcome to TA and Wayanad!

Chembra Peak is opened for tourist till today. And the entry is till the Lake (Natural Heart Shaped Lake). The entry till top of the hill is blocked for last one year. The Chembra and surrounding area is under Kerala Forest Dept, not under Kerala Tourism Dept and it's one of the prime location in terms of eco sensitive western ghats area.

Also the entry to Chembra can be blocked at any point of time if monsoons hits heavily. Please get in touch with DTPC (District Tourism Promotion Council) 04936 202134 before you start...

Thank you,

Biju

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

@biju

i just heard now from a owner of a resort in wayanad that trekking is hold due to moaist threat in this area.could you please check regarding this if you can.

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
103 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

Chembra is opened today also. We had our guests visited today and I have just now called up and doubled checked with the team - VSS . VSS (Vana Samrakana Samiti) is the forum who takes care Chembra security; it's a team of local administrative bodies of the panchayath, Forest Dept and nature Volunteers of Chembra localities. It was closed few days back just for five days due heavy rain fall and not linked with Maoist. The resort and guides may not be aware about Chembra updates.

I recommend always to get in touch with DTPC or TA Wayanad Forum to get latest updates.

As if today Chembra is opened .. Yeah..."The Mountain is calling; You must go.. ;) "

Thank you,

Biju

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

Thanks Biju for your help.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

One more question, can we take our private car (Hyundai Verna), all the way to the starting point of the hike? Or do we need to park our car in Meppadi and take an auto?

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

Thanks biju for the update :)

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
103 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

You an call me before you start from your place on +91 9886011443. I will get the latest update and will share to you. Unfortunately we can't get well advanced info as the destination is managed by Forest dept.

Please make sure the following things before climbing Chembra..

1) A good trekking shoe as it's a monsoon season

2) Enough water for 3 hours trekking

3) If you can manage to take some light food or energy drinks it would help you while climbing

4) The Last and the most important thing--- kindly AVOID plastics (carry case or any type of plastics) and make sure the empty water bottle are returned back from Chembra. Chembra is the most sensitive place and the most ecological place in Wayanad. Kindly avoid lighters/match boxes also. There will be strict checking done by the VSS team before anyone start climbing....

Go Green and Help Chembra to be green forever.. It's Wayanad's Heart....

Enjoy the trekking,.....

Thanks,

Biju

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
103 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

The roads are good only till Meppadi, the nearest town. From there, around 5 km drive to reach the check post of Chembra. You will be stopped at the Check post to initiate entry permission and tickets. From that point again 3 km to reach the place you will get parking allotted for your vehicle.

I suggest NOT to take small vehicle except Jeep or SUV. You can take till Meppadi town and then arrange a jeep to reach Chembra. The roads from Meppadi to Chembra is bad.

Thank you,

Biju

Edited: 28 July 2014, 15:36
Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
848 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chembra peak - Open till peak?

Hi

Chembra is opened till the mid-way, where heart shaped lake is there. Not till the peak.

Regards

Sam

Groowynd holidays