We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcares Beach

Dorset
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Barcares Beach

Does any one know this area?

We are thinking of renting a villa on this beach. Is it walking distance to a shop/restaurant? If so is it a pleasant walk or on a main road?

Would Cala San Vincente or Puerto Pollensa be a better choice if we don't want to hire a car?

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcares Beach

At the end of the beach there are two hotels and a few bars and restaurants. Within walking distance of Alcudia. Not what you could call a town, but within walking distance of Alcudia.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 10:59
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcares Beach

Lovely location. Beach, Med, mountains across the bay. There is one bar within striking distance that does decent food; Red Rum and Alcudia Town is about a 15 minute walk. town is lovely and plenty of restaurants, shops and bars. The supermarket may be the biggest issue. There is Mercadona or Syp; the cheapest options in the old town. And yet I still come back to the location; it is so nice. Depends how long you are going to be there; we always stayed at one of the two hotels (for 2 weeks) so did not have to worry about food. There are two other bays within walking distance from here too. And again I go back to location, but I know how annoying it can be doing shopping without a car......

I think you would be very content with Puerto Pollensa; at least it is a functioning town; the beach is nice and the backdrop terrific. Cala San Vincenc is nice to visit but there is not much going on there either.

Maybe you could rent a car the first day; do a "Big Shop" @ Carrefour, right by the airport and then drop it off later that day. You would then need to get back Alcudia way though? There are buses. And of course by then you would have already dropped off your luggage.

OK; so thinking as I'm going here: Rent a car first day on arrival; do a Big Shop at Carrefour, have a lovely evening then take the car back next day but do a day or half day in Palma then bus it back. Two birds, one stone etc.

Dorset
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcares Beach

Thanks for your replies.

The villa I am looking at is at the bottom of Calle de Corsega on Paseo de Voramar and we would be staying for one week. The most important thing is to have a peaceful location but with the possibility to explore on foot if we feel like it. What are the general surroundings like?

There is a group of us so I feel I have to get it right!

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcares Beach

Loja I'm not so sure anymore. At that location you are closer to the town than the main bit of Bacares; you are further from the nicer beach and the sole bar/restaurant. The main Pollensa beach starts just round the corner from you but that part of the beach tends to be plagued with seaweed and choppy waters. That said; 10 minute walk only to Bacares beach @ Morer Vermell and maybe 10 to the Old Town with its bars and restaurants. It is still a lovely setting though and you will have terrific views across the Bay of Polensa. There is, I believe also a restuarant/bar on the main Pollensa to Alcudia road that you are fairly close to. Maybe between you you could rent a car?

Dorset
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcares Beach

Thanks to all for your advice. We had a great holiday.The views from the villa were beautiful.

6. Re: Barcares Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:16