We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places for snorkeling around Alcudia

Turku, Western...
9 posts
Save Topic
Best places for snorkeling around Alcudia

I will arrive at Alcudia at the end of the june with my two sons. I chose the resort mainly because of the gorgeous beach and child friendly environment. However, my 7 year old elder son has been talking much about snorkeling lately and for that purpose I might need to look further than the shallow beach line.

We are talking about a kid who is not yet very confident in swimming so most of the time he would be perfectly happy just staying at a sandy beach as long as he can stay short moments underwater. However, it would be nice to plan a special day and take him to a beach with richer underwater life. And I am not talking about anything fancy, just a place where you can see more rocks, fish, underwater flora etc. easily without going too far away from the shore. And water should be calm enough for a kid to swim without too big effort.

We will have a rental car so a small distance won't be a problem. I have been considering visiting Cala San Vicente and probably it would be a good place for snorkeling as well. Are there similar coves even closer to Alcudia or what would you suggest as best place for snorkeling around Alcudia?

Thanks for any help :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places for snorkeling around Alcudia

Alcudia isn't known for it's snorkelling, not much going on around the bay and the rocky coast to the north of the port is normally very murky.

The best experience I had on the island was at Cala San Vincent which is north of Pollenca.

London
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places for snorkeling around Alcudia

just to echo what hobnob said - it's a beautiful sandy beach with next to no rocks and certainly no reef of any description - snorkling is very poor.

if you want to try somewhere a little bit nearer than Cala San Vincent, then round the corner, near the end of the large Pollenca bay you could try S'illot which is far better for snorkling than anything you'll find in Alcudia bay. There's a cafe with a small beach area which one side has a "cliff" and also a rocky Islet you can swim/paddle to and snorkly around.

Turku, Western...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places for snorkeling around Alcudia

Thanks for the replies :). I am aware of the fact that Alcudia beach is just lots of sand and shallow water without anything to see underwater. And it fits our plans perfectly for most of the holiday. However, I believe it would be nice to visit at least Cala San Vincente some day for snorkeling and maybe explore those smaller pebble beaches closer to Alcudia as well.

How about Formentor beach? How does it compare to Cala San Vincente for underwater scenery? We are most likely going to make a trip to Formentor anyway and it could be convenient to spend some time on the beach while we are there.

London
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places for snorkeling around Alcudia

I've never been that impressed with the formentor beach. Very small, high parking charges, packed, very few facilities for the amount of people and what's there are charged pretty high. Yerh, it's quite a pretty beach, but it's fairly small (thin strip) and i did hear it got even smaller last year after some storms.

Just my opinion, i would await a post from someone who goes there and enjoys it ... Afterall, there must be someone as it's rammed. Couldn't comment on the snorkling, after a walk up and down i normally can't get out there fast enough.

Cala San and S'illot are both good beaches (in their own way) and good for snorkling near to the shore.

5. Re: Best places for snorkeling around Alcudia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Alcudia