We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Highlands
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Has anyone read this :

Editorial: Summer 2014

By Jason Moore

There is nothing better than a summer holiday in Majorca but I got the impression that all is not well with tourism on the island this summer. After spending two weeks as a tourist on Majorca in many resorts I came to the conclusion that the island seemed quieter than usual. Now, obviously there are thousands of tourists about but I think I would be right in saying that things are quieter than last year and to some extent more expensive. Hiring a pedalo now seems to cost the same as chartering a super-yacht, a drink in many of the island´s top attractions will cost you a small fortune and many of the island´s once famous beach-side restaurants which prided themselves on their fresh fish and typical Majorcan cuisine have now become decidely Italian with pizza and pasta finding a prominent spot on their menus. Fast and inexpensive food at top restuarants, a sign of the times. At the same time there are many good value for money family restaurants which are having a nightmare time because of the massive growth in all inclusive holidays. And talking of hotels, just out of interest I attempted to book five nights in a Majorcan hotel, the price, 2,500 euros! So Majorca is still a fantastic holiday spot but if you don´t go all inclusive have your wallet or purse at the ready would be my advice to visiting tourists. And despite government assurances I would disagree with anyone who says that Majorca is on course for a record season.

Looking forward to everyone's views on this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

After reading that it would make anyone go AI, don't agree with most of it though.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Briefly;

First, I haven't seen any big price rises at all. In fact I find prices to be far cheaper than the UK. But I don't hang out in resorts, especially in high season, so what would I know?

2nd... Quieter? Not that I've seen. Busy as a beehive as far as I can tell. Beaches packed to the gills. Traffic insane. Restaurants and bars full of life. About normal.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Nah, I disagree with Mallorcat (but el gato doesn't look up package holiday prices from the UK for obvious reasons) and this year Mallorca has priced itself out of the market for many, I know of several that have gone to Tenerife as a family for over a £1000 less in peak season.

On the other Majorca forum we ran a price comparison thread and there were several instances of two week Caribbean holidays in 5 star all inc beachside properties for less than a comparable two weeks in Mallorca, in June.

midlands
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

returned from cala bona a few weeks ago, and it was defo as busy if not busier than last year. prices were the same as well. only a couple of hotels which are ai, which is a massive bonus.ai hotels should only be allowed in remote parts of the world not european tourist spots!

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Interesting but not really scientific analysis is it? As it's just anecdotal - in the first week of July in Palma and Pto Pollensa it was busier than usual - no sunbeds free on the beach past 10am, barely a table free left in the square past 9pm, having to make a reservation even midweek. Prices are now pretty much the same as the UK in the places we like. This is in contrast to our week in Cordoba and Ronda earlier this year - stunningly authentic places where morning coffee and a huge plate of churros cost €2.50 for two. The writer seems to be advocating AI while admitting that it lays waste to local cafés and bars. I do understand the appeal - knowing your costs in advance. It's not for us but choice is important and AI is part of that. We love Mallorca but feel lucky we can go elsewhere too. One thing I do agree with - prices are shooting up for hotels, SC, food and drink, decent car rental. Interest rates are set to rise in the UK - we'll have to wait and see.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Thanks for posting this.The author must also be writing for the Daily Mail.Mutually typical alarmist claptrap with examples of extremes.I don't go in peak season so I don't know what July/August have been like. But I do know that by my own experiences hotel prices in Pto Pollensa are significantly higher this year. I reckon they know they can charge what they want because the demand there between June and September is so high the decent places are at capacity.

On the one hand you have Calas de Majorca which is almost entirely All Inclusive (no change there then) and on the other Pto Pollensa which only has All Inclusive in out-of-town hotels.If Calas de Majorca didn't have All Inclusive would anyone choose to go there? If Pto Pollensa did introduce resort centre hotels with All Inclusive how many regulars would stop going?

I don't think anybody is under any illusions.Majorca is not a cheap holiday island any longer.And if Sol Melia and Calvia Council have their way/realise their ambitions

the SouthWest of the island is going to become significantly more expensive.

In closing my rant I would like to add that for anybody on a budget who does not already have a fave spot on the island, C'an Pastilla has good quality 3* hotels in abundance,short airport transfer,fair prices in bars and restos,a well groomed sandy beach on Bay of Palma,Aquarium nearby and on a short direct bus route into Palma.And no All Inclusive-to the best of my knowledge.And you quickly get used to the aircraft noise.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Interesting viewpoints from credible contributors.

All I can say is that I find the cost of living to be very reasonable, and it hasnt gone up radically in the past few years. But as I said before, I don't stay in hotels or resorts.

I certainly don't sense any difference in tourist traffic. It's busy! And that can only lead me to suspect that higher hotel prices may be a simple result of good old supply and demand.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Well I have to say this year on the self catering front Mallorca far out priced itself for the size of Villa we required ,in fact we got the same size villa in the Algarve for 2 weeks unlike Mallorca the same price would have been for only a week .

Having said that I still need my "fix" and will be back over next month but staying B&B in a Palma Hotel .:0)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

We usually stay A.I. at the Condes de Alcudia but the price went up a fair bit this year. Last year, we paid around £1600 for 10 nights, this year they wanted £2200 for the same 10 days so we went self-catering along at the Siesta Apartments, Siesta 2 in fact getting a good deal at £408 through Owners Direct.

We thought the resort was still busy but some of the bars had only half a dozen or so people in them most nights even when world cup games were on. Restaurants seemed busier than normal, particularly around the port and sidestreets and old town. We went along to C'an Picafort a couple of times. That resort seemed far busier than it has before.

There are more lowcost airlines flying from all over Europe and offering more choice of destinations in the med. We did notice that, although Alcudia has a fair mix of nationalities normally, there were more Russian and Polish visitors than we ever remembered from before and there's usually a lot of Scandinavian, particularly Norwegians and Swedes in the resort, lots of Dutch around too. Seemed to be not as many Germans as before though for some reason, still a fair few but used to hearing more German visitors than we did in comparison to previous years. I know of around half a dozen people that usually go to Spain (mainland or Majorca) that were going to Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Turkey, Malta or Menorca, one going to Madeira so maybe people just fancy a change. I know that the Costa del Sol has become extremely popular in Octobertime now and trying to find a cheap holiday deal for winter holidays to the Canaries is becoming more difficult, these islands are full to bursting during winter, we've been to all the main islands there in wintertime so know what to expect so maybe people are not going in peak summer season as much as before. I wouldn't be blaming A.I. completely though I'm sure it could've had some of the impact, the same hotels were doing A.I. a few years ago so not much has changed in that respect. Majorca is and always will be a favourite destination of mine be it Alcudia, Santa Ponsa, Sa Coma or any other places we've visited around the island and long may it continue to be.

Highlands
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mallorca Daily Bulletin AI news

Excellent points of view from every angle.

I can only give my own opinion from my own experience and from talking to various bar, restaurant, shop owners.

Its been ten years since I visited Alcudia. I haven't been anywhere else, just haven't been abroad. However on returning to the magic isle this July I did think it was alot quieter than my previous visits. I believe at one point the Bellevue had only a few hundred British tourists. Now this was the first two weeks of July ( English schools still I term time ) and previously we always stayed the first two weeks in June. I really did expect the resort to be bouncing. Alas, No. Each night we walked the strip. Yummy yummy, champions seemed to be doing ok. Shine, Oxford, woody woodpeckers and the rest off the strip were almost dead. Four tables full if that. Speaking to people it was their opinion that it was a very quiet season up until then. If all the blame can be laid at the ever expanding door of AI. I really don't know. In my opinion it really hasn't helped.

As for prices. You can still get good deals if your not fussy and move away from the beach area.

Package holiday prices have gone up greatly for 2015. For instance.

3 adults, 2 children H/B in a 2 bed apartment this year cost me £3050. Next year. Same hotel, same flight, same time but with only 2 adults, 2 children and B&B only is £2870. Quite a hike.