We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

arkansas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

Hi,

This is my first trip to Costa Rica and I only have one day for sightseeing in the area close to Finca Rosa Blanca Inn. I have never seen a volcano and thought I would try to book a private guide to drive me to Poa's early and then stop at La Paz Waterfall gardens. Would there be enough time to make it to Sarchi to see the Oxcart factory and then do some shopping all in the same day? I though if I got a private guide and got an early start I could...any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

10 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

It will be a full day tour ...but 100% doable...go for it...

Roadavisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

The top of Poas opens at 8 AM and 1-1.5 hours is enough for most folks. LaPaz can easily take 2-4 hours to explore and if you add lunch to it you may be too tired at this point to continue on. Sarchi is not at all close to LaPaz, whcih is NE of San Jose. You need to backtrack to the airport, W of San Jose (75 minues) and then continue on to Sarchi (another 45 minutes). I personally would find this an exhausting day as it's a lot of driving.

Suggest as an alternate you head for Poas, then take a tour of Doka coffee estate, and then on to Sarchi. If you check this option on a map you'll see there is a lot less driving time.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,699 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

You can see one of the La Paz waterfalls from the outside of the gardens. Maybe just do that after Poas, and then see Sarchi.

Alternatively, you could do all three, but you'd probably want to just stick to the waterfall section of La Paz (skipping the wildlife exhibits).

arkansas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

Thanks for the feedback....Is Sarchi worth the extra time and travel in everyone's opinion? I just wanted to shop for some authentic items and after I leave Finca Rosa Blanca Inn I head to Manuel Antonio. I liked the sound of the shopping in Sarchi but don't want to be rushed and go if they all close early. I would like to see the waterfalls at La Paz if you guys think they are worth it...hoping to catch animals at Manuel Antonio. Does anyone know a good private driver/guide in the area of Finca Rosa Blanca Inn? Also, I have one day set aside in Manuel for something "active" and fun. I was leaning towards rafting Rio Savegre or the mangrove tour. Whales aren't around mid December are they? I wanted to go whale watching but if they aren't there then I would rather do something else...I have seen enough dolphins...

Sorry for all the question and I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

While the Ox Cart Factory is cute and colorful, and the wooden souvenirs are nice enough. I think it's a bit (or more than a bit) over-rated. I wouldn't kill myself to get there. You'll see plenty of wooden items at traditional gift shops around the country.

The Savegre is much more active than the mangrove tour. The Savegre is a fun and beautiful river to raft. The mangrove tour is great for wildlife viewing...

Whale and dolphin sightings are far from guaranteed...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
506 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

If you're short of time, I wouldn't try to fit in Sarchi. A really good driver who knows that area is Wilson Rojas. wilson_elsy@yahoo.com. He is a genuine person who knows everyone and can really show you the area. We have used him for years.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
883 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

Be advised that the road from the Poas to La Paz (126) is very very bad from the intersection that you will be coming in on to the La Paz river bridge , just to the north east of La Paz. This was without a doubt, on of the worst roads we used while in Costa Rica. It has been posted here that the other side of the bridge is the bad section, but this is not the case at all. The road on the Sarapiqui side, has been redone and is in very good condition. If you decide to go the La Paz Waterfall Gardens, allow extra time for travel on this section of road. We traveled it at night, in the clouds, and I will be the first to tell you that this section of road is extremely hazardous.

San Diego...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

Is the road from sjo airport to la Paz gardens safe to travel at night now? Our flight arrives at 9pm and we plan to stay at Peace Lodge at the gardens.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

Book a private transfer or ssve a small fortune and just overnight by the airport, since you’ll arrive too late to enjoy the Peace Lodge the 1st night. It usually takes 45-75 minutes to clear customs & pickup your luggage, then 30-45 minutes to pick up a car offsite.and then it’s a 75 minute drive to LaPaz. Most of the toad thru steep hills is winding, unlit & with some steep dropoffs. I would not recommend driving yourself after dark. It’s a beautiful drive during daylight.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?

I am confused by this thread. It seems to be from several years ago and many comments are now outdated. Poas has been active and the park is closed to visitors for an indefinite period.

llsheppard, did you also have questions about Sarchi?

Reply to: Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall gardens and Sarchi shopping?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Barbara