We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smky Mts Park from Wilmington NC

California
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Smky Mts Park from Wilmington NC

Hi everyone, I need you help,

My husband, myself and our infant will bein Wilmington NC in May for a wedding. We would like to then drive to GSMNP and stay a night or two and do a hike before going up the blue ridge parkway to Shenandoah National Park. My question is, what is the best point of entrance to the park (hwy to take) and where is a good area to find lodging? I'm kinda at a loss as I'm not familiar with the area, don't have much time to research as much as I used to pre-baby, and I want to book soon.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice,

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smky Mts Park from Wilmington NC

Wow. You do know that's at least a seven hour drive right?

But that aside, the park only has one entrance on the NC side, at Cherokee. You can easily get a hotel or motel in the city of Cherokee and then drive right on into the park via US 441.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smky Mts Park from Wilmington NC

This will show all the entrances to the BRP.

www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/loader.cfm…

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smky Mts Park from Wilmington NC

Yes, as Rob says that is a very long drive. Is there a particular reason you want to go to the National Park? Because you could shorten your trip quite a bit by staying in the Asheville area, where there are plenty of hiking opportunities close by. You'll then have (arguably) the best section of the Blue Ridge Parkway in front of you (towards Boone/Blowing Rock), and you'll find plenty of great scenery and hiking along the way.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smky Mts Park from Wilmington NC

I second ARBY..........stop for a few days in Asheville and then drive the BRP a day or two. It's a long ways to SMNP and back to VA. You will really enjoy Asheville. I hope you have a nice trip.

5. Re: Smky Mts Park from Wilmington NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...
More Great Smoky Mountains National Park Topics