We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti canned hunting

London, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Anti canned hunting

Hi I am coming to SA later this year and was thinking of going to Moholoholo Rehabilitan centre as well as HESC and the elephant place as well. I am against canned hunting and I am worried about going somewhere that may either directly or indirectly have dealing with this. Can anyone advise if these are genuine, I apologise if they are and I have offended.

Many thanks

25 replies to this topic
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Anti canned hunting

Real conservation happens in game reserves, not in zoo like environments. If you wish to teach your niece about conservation, simply take her to any of the National Parks or one of the very many private reserves that are of sufficient size.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Anti canned hunting

My son is very interested in educational programs, and Moholoholo's sounds very good. Would like to hear from anyone who has had experience with it.

Stellenbosch, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Anti canned hunting

Moholoholo is a Great Place to learn from and to introduce your niece to wildlife Protection!!!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Anti canned hunting

check out the facebook group "volunteers in Africa beware" they have an extensive list titled "good, bad and the ugly" moholoholo is on the good list though not everyone agrees with the interactive portion of the placement. They are a rehabilitation centre not a breeding farm/petting zoo, sometimes the hands on interaction is required to adequately care for these animals and all of the interaction is strictly supervised. I am going to volunteer in the fall and I chose it after doing some extensive research and comparisons. I hope to write a positive review after my experience. As a side note, If you plan on going there I would suggest contact them directly to book your placement, it is 50% cheaper than going through volunteer agency. cheers

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,910 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Anti canned hunting

I hope this assessment is correct, Roxy. I just can't imagine a legitimate rehab center allowing untrained volunteers to handle the animals, "strictly supervised" or not.

Reply to: Anti canned hunting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moholoholo
Recent Conversations