We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candela, Italy

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
1 review
Candela, Italy

I realize this is a very small town in Italy (has declined in population over the years). Town is now offering incentives for people to move there.

I am 70 years olds and live in Las Vegas, NV. Am looking for an inexpensive place to retire in Europe. My income is under $1,100 dollars per month (soc. sec. retirement). What is cost of living in Candela, how close is it to a larger town? l am wondering about health care costs, etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions in Europe that might fit my budget. Thanks, Judi Braun

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,319 posts
1. Re: Candela, Italy

You need to meet with your consulate as there are financial requirements for being able to move to live in Italy - they will inform you of what you will require, in addition to what you will need for health coverage. It is a rather arduous, lengthy process so begin now so you can start getting your information together.

If I am correct, I believe you also will need to have a rental/lease in place as well to qualify.

In other words, it is not easy and they do need to ensure/confirm your income is enough (and your health coverage as well) so you have the ability to cover all your costs.

Not sure but I think the nearest consulate to you may be San Francisco but a quick google search and you will be able to confirm whether that is, in fact, the case. There may be on closer, I don't know

jatim
Level Contributor
1 post
50 reviews
2. Re: Candela, Italy

we get paid but we have to work, isn't it ?

1 post
3. Re: Candela, Italy

Of all the places you could retire on $1100.........why there? You could live like royalty elsewhere on that.

malta
1 post
1 review
4. Re: Candela, Italy

You might consider retiring in Malta. It's a small island in the Mediterranean and English is the second language.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,990 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Candela, Italy

Moving from North America to Europe is not straightforward. The requirements are strict and there is a lot of red tape. Permanent residency can take several years. It's worth it but takes heaps of patience, perseverance and a mind of steel. If you haven't done your research you could be in for many legal surprises and problems. You must really know what you are doing.

Not to put you off but it's definitely not like vacation!

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
6. Re: Candela, Italy

@StrangJD - can you list a few of the other locations where one could live on $1100 per month? Would really like to know some of the other options.

Reply to: Candela, Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Candela
Recent Conversations