We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing in Non duty drinks

adelaide,australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
bringing in Non duty drinks

Hi, I am off to phuket and other areas in thailand , late this year, I would like to bring a dozen bottles of mixed wine .Tax paid here in Australia. A gift maybe one bottle, for one friend .And 10 or so friends . .. Do I have to pay extra tax ? I can get the airline to let me have extra baggage .

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing in Non duty drinks

You can bring one litre of alcohol per person. The Thais don't discriminate between wines, beers spirits etc. As far as I know they also do not differentiate between alcohol that has been taxed elsewhere, or alcohol that hasn't. Expect to pay duty on your other 11 bottles.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing in Non duty drinks

Having paid taxes in Australia makes no difference to Thailand. As westendgaz mentioned, you will be charged duty for all bottles above your 1 litre duty free allowance. And having that many bottles in your luggage might raise some eyebrows.

Declare it upon arrival, don't even think about trying to sneak it through the green lane. If you get caught, you will be fined 4 times the duty, plus a general fine and have everything confiscated. There is another thread in the Thailand forum about someone who brought in too many "duty free" cigarettes and left the airport 1000 Euros lighter.

You might find it cheaper to pick up some Oz wines in the local markets, than to pay the duty imposed by customs. And allot the one litre duty free allowance to a nice gift bottle for your buddy.

3. Re: bringing in Non duty drinks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Chiang Mai Province