We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

Which Mtunzini hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

The time has arrived for me to plan our next SA holiday! Once again we will have to go in the last 3 weeks of August, so the warmth of the north-east appeals.

Last time we stayed in St Lucia, this time we fancy something a little different, having enjoyed visits to Cape Vidal previously, What about Mtunzini? Similar climate to St Lucia, it appears to have Mangrove forests, Raphia Palms, a long sandy beach, a lagoon for canoeing, hiking trails and biking trails on the inland side of the N2?!! What do people think? Have people visited before? I am sure the nearby Isimangaliso Wetlands Park means that Mtunzini is rarely visited as the Umlalazi reserve is not all that large!

11 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

It is an absolutely stunning area and I'd visit before the worlds mining giants completely destroys the pristine coastline. (-:

Last time I was there was 5 years ago so maybe someone can give more updated info. We are keen birders so that held a lot of interest for us and we loved the hike through the forest to the rivermouth.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

Thanks for your reply Miki. We are quite active people but also like wildlife, including birding.

https:/…

You can protest about the mining decision at the above link. Surely there needs to be at least a 20km buffer between conservation areas and mining areas? The mining won't create any new jobs, but might ruin jobs in tourism and agriculture.

What is the sea like there? Nice and blue like at Cape Vidal, or does the nearby river ruin it somewhat? I know that cloudy, silty sea attracts Zambezi sharks, whereas clear water is better for bathing.

Let's hope that another dune area that is not near a reserve is chosen for mining!

Anyone else been here?

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

I too have enjoyed birding in Mtunzini, so for that purpose I do highly recommend it! Always see many people on mountain bikes, so I'm sure the biking is good too. Unforunately haven't spent time on the beach, and also don't know much about hiking in the area. Hopefully someone else can advise about that!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

Thanks Tanya. We fancy several nights on the coast, so will want to swim, maybe surf, look out for birds like Trogons, canoe etc. We found swimming in Cape Vidal great in August, so I am sure it will be good in Mtunzini as the water temperature should be similar.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

Hello & I stayed at the KZN Wildlife reserve at Mtunzini a few years ago. The accommodation was good and there were a few short trails and lovely beach beyond the dunes. I wasn't lucky enough to see a palm nut vulture but was thinking that on my next visit I should return there. I contribute to a web site that you might find useful www.safarikzn.com and if you haven't already www.kznwildlife.com has info on the reserve there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

Thanks Mark. What is the sea like round there? Is it all churned up and muddy because of the river?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

Hi and from I remember it was ok. I think it depends on how the river is flowing. But the beach stretches for miles and there is a huge amount of open ocean. I must admit though that I am not someone who swims in the sea. I know my brother in law takes his family there and stays with friends and the kids love it.

Mtunzini
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

I am a resident of Mtunzini and have lived here for six years, although I’ve been visiting the village since 1994.

Mtunzini would meet all of your expectations in terms of mountain biking and birding. There are registered local bird guides, and there are many mountain bikers who are only too happy to show visitors around (myself included!). There are a couple of mega ticks for birders (Palm Nut Vulture, and Green Barbet nearby in Ongoye Forest).

There are also numerous other mountain biking trails within one hour’s drive of Mtunzini.

Forest and beach hiking are great, with lovely trails. We have a beautiful river and estuary, and there are quite a few surfers living in the village.

We have very good restaurants (especially Zanj), and there are many other activities. Please look at this blog comment for ideas:-

…sa-venues.com/provinces/…

and look at our village web site:-

www.mtunzini.co.za

If you would like more information please contact me.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

look up Amangwane camp, we had a wonderful time there and the water was crystal clear in the lagoon.You can also read my review of the place on my Trip Advisor reviews page.Do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions.We loved the area!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!

Thanks Mtunzini99 and caviar. I have PMed you Mtunzini99. Kosi Bay area looks amazing caviar, but we won't have a 4x4 and don't take anti-malarials - I would have thought Kosi bay is pretty bad for the biters even in August?!

Reply to: Mtunzini for biking, hiking, beaching, birding?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mtunzini