We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamala compared to Kata

Which Kamala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
perth
8 posts
Save Topic
Kamala compared to Kata

how does Kamala compare to Kata beach size wise, shops, restaurants and crowds etc. thanks

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

I really think there is no comparision, both places are totally different, Kamala is more like a little village, if you want to just kick back & not do much at all it is perfect & only a 10 minute drive into Patong.

Kata Beach has everything within walking distance, for me I would prefer to stay there. We have stayed in Kata/Kata Noi area for a couple of weeks over the last few months & really enjoyed the area.

Cathy

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

I have to agree with Cathy....but then perhaps I am biased :-) However Kamala is quieter and if that's what you are after then it would be better to stay there.

Have a great holiday!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

Kata would wins for me too, Kamala just too quite, but as Cathy says it depends what you are looking for

Michelle

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

The Kata area for me as well. has all the shops and restaurants I need. awesome beach views, sorry I never saw the beach in Kamala. try a google search on the 2 and check out the images. - go for Kata

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

I just did a google search on Kamala beach cause I was interested. saw the beach bar that I've been to. alchohol makes me miss so many things. So I been here at night and remember it being a nice quiet town. super relaxing. I would still chose Kata but nothing wrong with Kamala but quietness.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

Hi Cathy - seems as though you've recently spent time in Kata Noi, can you recommend a restaurant for our 1st nite (not Mom Tri's - will go another nite). Arriving late & will be v. tired - just need something in short walking distance from Katathani - cheap & cheeful as the saying goes. We arrive 7.30pm - so by the time we get to hotel could be 9-9.30 & looking for rest. 9.30-10pm - will this be too late to find rest open? Thanks

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

Hi Lorenzo,

we have stayed in Kamala twice now & are heading back in November, i agree with what has been said above, it is a fairly quiet town but it is growing rapidly (like most of Thailand i guess) we choose to stay there as we can have the relaxing time we want in Kamala & yet be close enough to Patong if want to go there, Kamala has many wonderful hotels (Aquamarine & Print Kamala are 2 we have & are staying at) whilst it is a town it is growing very fast, the beach's are beautiful & people very friendly .

Good luck with your holiday, hope all goes well for you.

Vinny

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

Steins, just outside your hotel are a couple of restaurants, we had dinner in one called Jao Jong Seafood, they have all types of food on the menu not just seafood, reasonable prices & the food was ok, they should still be open.

Cathy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

Thanks Cathy - by the way, do you order your seafood off the menu or if the choice is available, per kilogram from the seafood on ice on display & if so, do you try & bargain down for this (its pretty expensive) - read recently on TA that someone always bargains the cost & gets a better deal?

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kamala compared to Kata

We never order seafood anymore by the weight in restaurants just normal seafood dishes from the menu, unless it is places Thai friends etc take us to which is never in Patong lol.

Cathy