We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

I will be staying at cape Sienna and i saw the article about the couple witness to a driver beating when they hired a tour. But i am conflicted?I'm seeing a lot of people suggest hiring a driver. Does this mean i should just use the mafia system in place? Or hire an outside driver for the duration of the trip?

If i were to hire a driver are there any recommendations?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

Hi

I believe that if you Hire a driver that he probally wont be able to pick you up from there due to the Mafia. I think this is the problem as the drivers that hang around the cape sienna, dont like outsiders coming in and taking ther customers lol. To be honest after what happened there i think you would be lucky to get one of the private drivers from Ta to go there.

My thoughts anyway

Cheers Andrew

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

Thanks! So what kind of taxi prices should i expect?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

Hi

Were do you want to go lol. When i was there a few weeks ago, i payed 400B to go from Kamala to Patong one way. I did get my hotel to take me one day and that only cost me 350B. I do believe that they have a shuttle that will bring you down to the beach road in Kamala from the Sienna. not sure if that shuttle take guess anywhere else.

Hope this helps, if you want to know anything else let me know as i always stay in Kamala.

Cheers Andrew

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

Be aware that the taxi mafia are not insured to carry tourists, so if the worst happens, you're on your own - the driver will be long gone

Ridgewood, NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

I just contacted a driver who is very highly recommended on TA to ask about airport pickup & drop off as well as an island tour. When I told him we would be staying at Kamala Beach Resort he said he was sorry but he couldn't go there. He also included a press clip about violence against drivers at the Sienna. I don't want to support the taxi mafia so am not sure how to proceed.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

Hi

Can you ask the Driver you contacted if he is willing to pick you up for Island tour at a different location. I think he maybe able to do the Airport drop off but pick-up sometime can be a problem, like island tours. It is a tricky situation, I always stay in Kamala and the hotel we stay at this does not happen, so has never been a problem for us.

Cheers Andrew

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

Ask the driver if he will meet you at the new 7-11 just down the street from Rockfish about 50-60 meters. It is a downhill three minute walk from Cape Sienna.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

geez can you change hotels? That doesn't sound very good at all.

Linda

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

i would change hotels they need to sort out these situations.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape sienna Do i hire a driver? or succumb to the taxi Mafia

We have a wedding party staying at Aquamarine resort, am now wondering if we will have the same problem there, i havent read anything about this resort only Cape Sienna, i know Aquamarine have a shuttle that takes guests to Patong & into Kamala, so if i have any probs i will get collected nearby the hotel.

Vinny